Amazon unveils thinner, lighter Kindle 2
Improved battery life, text-to-speech also boost the company's new e-book reader
The new device, at 10.2 oz., is also 0.36 in. thick, thinner than the 0.48-in.-thick iPhone, Bezos said at an announcement event in New York. It also has 25% longer battery life than before, according to the Amazon.com Web site.
It will sell for $359 and is scheduled to ship on Feb. 24.
Page turns are also 20% faster, and a new text-to-speech feature allows Kindle to read every book or newspaper article aloud, Amazon.com said.
Bezos told an audience of reporters that the device will rely on a body of 230,000 books, which some critics have found too restrictive even at that size. But the Amazon.com site points out that the e-book selections are the "Earth's biggest electronic book selection." "Even the best device without selection is useless," Bezos said.
The Kindle 2 has a 6-in. diagonal display with 600-by-800-pixel resolution. In all, it is 8 by 5.3 by .36 in. in size and weighs 10.2 oz. Internal storage is seven times greater than the earlier model, with 2GB.
The increased battery life will allow a user to read on a single charge for up to four days with the wireless connection turned on, according to Amazon.com. It fully charges in four hours.
A 3.5mm stereo audio jack is provided along with rear-mounted stereo speakers.
Amazon Kindle 2
- Review: Kindle for iPhone -- the killer e-book app
- Kindle iPhone app is 'huge,' says analyst
- Seth Weintraub: Ask and you shall receive?
- Hands-on with the Amazon Kindle 2
- Amazon unveils thinner, lighter Kindle 2
- Shhh: Whispersync could be the real news out of Kindle 2
- Barbara Krasnoff: Kindle 2 -- will it save "long form" reading?
- Amazon Kindle: A road warrior's best friend
- Amazon and Google race for readers
- Mike Elgan: Here comes the e-book revolution
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!