Amazon unveils thinner, lighter Kindle 2
Improved battery life, text-to-speech also boost the company's new e-book reader
The new device, at 10.2 oz., is also 0.36 in. thick, thinner than the 0.48-in.-thick iPhone, Bezos said at an announcement event in New York. It also has 25% longer battery life than before, according to the Amazon.com Web site.
It will sell for $359 and is scheduled to ship on Feb. 24.
Page turns are also 20% faster, and a new text-to-speech feature allows Kindle to read every book or newspaper article aloud, Amazon.com said.
Bezos told an audience of reporters that the device will rely on a body of 230,000 books, which some critics have found too restrictive even at that size. But the Amazon.com site points out that the e-book selections are the "Earth's biggest electronic book selection." "Even the best device without selection is useless," Bezos said.
The Kindle 2 has a 6-in. diagonal display with 600-by-800-pixel resolution. In all, it is 8 by 5.3 by .36 in. in size and weighs 10.2 oz. Internal storage is seven times greater than the earlier model, with 2GB.
The increased battery life will allow a user to read on a single charge for up to four days with the wireless connection turned on, according to Amazon.com. It fully charges in four hours.
A 3.5mm stereo audio jack is provided along with rear-mounted stereo speakers.
Amazon Kindle 2
- Review: Kindle for iPhone -- the killer e-book app
- Kindle iPhone app is 'huge,' says analyst
- Seth Weintraub: Ask and you shall receive?
- Hands-on with the Amazon Kindle 2
- Amazon unveils thinner, lighter Kindle 2
- Shhh: Whispersync could be the real news out of Kindle 2
- Barbara Krasnoff: Kindle 2 -- will it save "long form" reading?
- Amazon Kindle: A road warrior's best friend
- Amazon and Google race for readers
- Mike Elgan: Here comes the e-book revolution
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts