Microsoft teases 'SkyBox' mobile storage site
Reports say site pitching online service for Windows Mobile users was launched, then pulled
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp. today appears to have launched, and then pulled, a Web site pitching a cloud-based service that would let Windows Mobile users back up and access information online.
The Getskybox.com site is no longer functioning. But a report on the Engadget consumer-electronics blog, and subsequent ones posted elsewhere, said that the service would enable users running Windows Mobile to back up and restore phone data on a password-protected Web site. They also could access their contact lists and calendars and share photos through a Web account, according to the reports.
Even though the Web address uses the SkyBox name, the page that was temporarily available called the service My Phone.
Rumors have surfaced recently that Microsoft might unveil such a service at the upcoming GSMA Mobile World Congress, which starts Feb. 16 in Barcelona. Those are in addition to reports that the company may introduce its own line of smartphones at the conference.
Microsoft is already beta-testing a service that sounds similar to SkyBox: Live Mesh, which lets users upload photos and other information to a Web page and access the data from a mobile phone. Both services are potential competitors to Apple Inc.'s MobileMe offering, which had a rocky start after its debut last July.
One apparent difference between Live Mesh and SkyBox is that the latter service will automatically synchronize appointments, photos, videos, text messages, and calendar and contact information. In addition, while anyone with a phone and a browser can use Live Mesh, SkyBox appears to be limited to people using phones with Windows Mobile 6.
A spokesman from Microsoft's public relations firm said today that he didn't yet have any comments to pass along about the appearance and disappearance of the SkyBox site.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!