Facebook celebrates birthday and five years of friends
As it overshadows social network pioneer MySpace, Facebook notes major milestone
Computerworld - Facebook Inc. is celebrating a major milestone today -- its fifth birthday.
Since Feb. 4, 2004, the social networking site has brought together millions of friends. Late last month, online research firm ComScore Inc. announced that it had found that Facebook has stormed past rival MySpace.com, the pioneer of the social networking phenomenon, in monthly page-view counts. Facebook, once thought of as the up-and-coming social network, had almost 222 million unique visitors in December, while MySpace came in at 125 million.
Now, with a fifth anniversary under its belt, Facebook has even more to celebrate.
"This is a happy occasion for Facebook, but much more significant to the Facebook team is the fact that over 150 million people around the world are using Facebook to connect with the people in their lives," said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in a blog post. "Facebook was founded in 2004 to give people the tools to engage and understand the world around them. We are glad and humbled that so many people are using Facebook in this way."
Facebook is celebrating its own birthday by giving users a surprise gift that can be sent to their friends on the site. The gift is slated to be available in the Facebook Gift Shop. "In the spirit of celebrating connections between people, we encourage you to use this gift to give thanks to your friends, colleagues and family members with whom you are connected on Facebook," wrote Zuckerberg.
To note Facebook's birthday, Internet monitoring firm Hitwise Pty. Ltd. released statistics about the company today.
Hitwise noted that Facebook last month had the fifth-highest market share of all Web sites, doubling from 15% in January 2008 to 31% last month. The firm also noted that the average time users spend on Facebook was a little more than 21 minutes last month.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts