Facebook celebrates birthday and five years of friends
As it overshadows social network pioneer MySpace, Facebook notes major milestone
Computerworld - Facebook Inc. is celebrating a major milestone today -- its fifth birthday.
Since Feb. 4, 2004, the social networking site has brought together millions of friends. Late last month, online research firm ComScore Inc. announced that it had found that Facebook has stormed past rival MySpace.com, the pioneer of the social networking phenomenon, in monthly page-view counts. Facebook, once thought of as the up-and-coming social network, had almost 222 million unique visitors in December, while MySpace came in at 125 million.
Now, with a fifth anniversary under its belt, Facebook has even more to celebrate.
"This is a happy occasion for Facebook, but much more significant to the Facebook team is the fact that over 150 million people around the world are using Facebook to connect with the people in their lives," said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in a blog post. "Facebook was founded in 2004 to give people the tools to engage and understand the world around them. We are glad and humbled that so many people are using Facebook in this way."
Facebook is celebrating its own birthday by giving users a surprise gift that can be sent to their friends on the site. The gift is slated to be available in the Facebook Gift Shop. "In the spirit of celebrating connections between people, we encourage you to use this gift to give thanks to your friends, colleagues and family members with whom you are connected on Facebook," wrote Zuckerberg.
To note Facebook's birthday, Internet monitoring firm Hitwise Pty. Ltd. released statistics about the company today.
Hitwise noted that Facebook last month had the fifth-highest market share of all Web sites, doubling from 15% in January 2008 to 31% last month. The firm also noted that the average time users spend on Facebook was a little more than 21 minutes last month.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts