Panasonic to cut 15,000 jobs as it forecasts $4.3B loss
Electronics maker also to close 27 factories
IDG News Service - Japanese electronics maker Panasonic today forecast its first yearly loss in a long time and said it will slash jobs because of the worsening global economy.
The company plans to shed 15,000 jobs by the end of March 2010 and shut factories in Japan amid slumping sales. Panasonic also forecast its first yearly net loss in six years, ¥380 billion ($4.3 billion U.S.).
Sales fell dramatically in the fourth quarter, said the Japanese company, which changed its name from Matsushita Electric Industrial in October.
The company's sales for the fourth quarter fell 20% year on year to ¥1.88 trillion as it turned to a net loss of ¥63.1 billion.
Panasonic blamed the decrease on a sharp downturn in consumer spending, increased price competition, rising raw material prices and a stronger yen.
The company will shut 27 factories worldwide, including 13 in Japan. It employed 307,444 people as of the end of 2008.
- Solving the wireless puzzle Designing and maintaining a solid WLAN, managing the RF spectrum, providing predictable performance and availability, staying secure in an increasingly threatening environment:
- High Wireless & Tech The demand from mobile users for more power and automation requires IT managers to improve network efficiency. The new generation of mobile IT...
- Inside the Chicago Cubs upgrade The team is in it to win it with a series of massive construction and IT projects, set to culminate in the restoration...
- Networking: Connecting the Dots Articles on the latest trends, best practice tips and guidance for making informed purchase decisions.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Network Hardware White Papers | Webcasts