Panasonic to cut 15,000 jobs as it forecasts $4.3B loss
Electronics maker also to close 27 factories
IDG News Service - Japanese electronics maker Panasonic today forecast its first yearly loss in a long time and said it will slash jobs because of the worsening global economy.
The company plans to shed 15,000 jobs by the end of March 2010 and shut factories in Japan amid slumping sales. Panasonic also forecast its first yearly net loss in six years, ¥380 billion ($4.3 billion U.S.).
Sales fell dramatically in the fourth quarter, said the Japanese company, which changed its name from Matsushita Electric Industrial in October.
The company's sales for the fourth quarter fell 20% year on year to ¥1.88 trillion as it turned to a net loss of ¥63.1 billion.
Panasonic blamed the decrease on a sharp downturn in consumer spending, increased price competition, rising raw material prices and a stronger yen.
The company will shut 27 factories worldwide, including 13 in Japan. It employed 307,444 people as of the end of 2008.
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Network Hardware White Papers | Webcasts