VoIP system progressing at U.S. Social Security Administration
The company says it completed the task within 180 days of initial purchase orders as part of the SSA's 10-year, US$300 million Telephone Systems Replacement Project (TSRP). The new system is expected to become one of the largest enterprise VoIP deployments in the world, and is already supporting more than 125 offices and more than 33,500 calls daily.
To date, the system has handled more than 1.6 million calls. With as many as 16 offices added each week, approximately 500 offices will be added per year until all 1,526 offices are online.
Nortel Government Solutions has engineered the system to support more than 100,000 phones.
The core implementation included redundant, geographically dispersed service delivery points for high survivability; a demonstration facility in Columbia, Md.; and a network operations center, help desk and agency test facility in Woodlawn, MD. Nortel Government Solutions has also implemented a VoIP applications suite that includes a data mart and management information system for custom reporting, and features to improve overall call-handling efficiency.
All components were tested and accepted before rollout to SSA field offices began, Nortel Government Solutions says.
TSRP is expected to support services for an anticipated influx of new users, including retiring baby boomers. The SSA also expects its VoIP network to help consolidate monthly public network service charges, decrease operating and maintenance costs, and establish a platform for future services.
The SSA VoIP network features Nortel's Communication Server 1000 switching, Contact Center Management Server, Media Processing Server 500 IVR, unified messaging solution with Unified Messaging 2000 core platform and CallPilot, and IP Phone 1100 Series handsets.
The Nortel Government Solutions TSRP team includes General Dynamics, Black Box Network Services, Shared Technologies, York Telecom, High Wire Networks, NetIQ, NETCOM Technologies, Attivasoft and Pal-Tech.
Nortel Government Solutions says it is also involved in a number of major VoIP transitions for U.S. government customers worldwide, including the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Energy, the U.S. Senate, the Department of Transportation, the U.S. Air Force and other elements of the Department of Defense.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts