VoIP system progressing at U.S. Social Security Administration
The company says it completed the task within 180 days of initial purchase orders as part of the SSA's 10-year, US$300 million Telephone Systems Replacement Project (TSRP). The new system is expected to become one of the largest enterprise VoIP deployments in the world, and is already supporting more than 125 offices and more than 33,500 calls daily.
To date, the system has handled more than 1.6 million calls. With as many as 16 offices added each week, approximately 500 offices will be added per year until all 1,526 offices are online.
Nortel Government Solutions has engineered the system to support more than 100,000 phones.
The core implementation included redundant, geographically dispersed service delivery points for high survivability; a demonstration facility in Columbia, Md.; and a network operations center, help desk and agency test facility in Woodlawn, MD. Nortel Government Solutions has also implemented a VoIP applications suite that includes a data mart and management information system for custom reporting, and features to improve overall call-handling efficiency.
All components were tested and accepted before rollout to SSA field offices began, Nortel Government Solutions says.
TSRP is expected to support services for an anticipated influx of new users, including retiring baby boomers. The SSA also expects its VoIP network to help consolidate monthly public network service charges, decrease operating and maintenance costs, and establish a platform for future services.
The SSA VoIP network features Nortel's Communication Server 1000 switching, Contact Center Management Server, Media Processing Server 500 IVR, unified messaging solution with Unified Messaging 2000 core platform and CallPilot, and IP Phone 1100 Series handsets.
The Nortel Government Solutions TSRP team includes General Dynamics, Black Box Network Services, Shared Technologies, York Telecom, High Wire Networks, NetIQ, NETCOM Technologies, Attivasoft and Pal-Tech.
Nortel Government Solutions says it is also involved in a number of major VoIP transitions for U.S. government customers worldwide, including the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Energy, the U.S. Senate, the Department of Transportation, the U.S. Air Force and other elements of the Department of Defense.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!