Yahoo's Briefcase storage service to close March 30
Users have outgrown it, Yahoo says
IDG News Service - Yahoo Inc.'s Briefcase online storage service, which soldiered on for almost 10 years with a distinctly "Web 1.0" capacity of 30MB, is finally being shut down.
Users of the free service, which lets people upload files as big as 5MB and organize them in folders, are being greeted by a message that says they have to download or delete their files by March 30. After that, the accounts will be closed and files deleted.
Yahoo is discontinuing Briefcase because users outgrew it, Yahoo said in a statement. Other services, such as Yahoo Mail and Flickr, offer far greater storage capacity, and the use of Briefcase has fallen in recent years, the company said. The move will help it focus on services that are more widely used, according to Yahoo.
As it battles Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp. in the search arena and struggles to bring in more revenue from its array of other services, Yahoo is being driven toward tighter focus. The company announced layoffs last year and has seen its stock price plunge since a proposed acquisition by Microsoft fell apart in May 2008.
Time may have passed Briefcase by, but the idea of Internet-based file storage is alive and well. Microsoft last year announced Live Mesh, a service now in beta testing that lets users store files online, keep them synchronized across mobile devices and PCs, and access them on the road. The free DropBox application offers similar capabilities.
In addition to those services, Google is rumored to be nearing the introduction of an online storage service called GDrive.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts