Report: Obama picks Google exec for new post
Stanton to go to Washington as head of 'Citizen Participation'
Katie Jacobs Stanton, who was involved in Google's elections projects, is expected to start in March. While the specifics of her new role were unclear, Stanton will likely be responsible for overseeing the implementation of Web tools, such as Google's Moderator, that will let citizens participate more interactively with the Obama White House, the Journal's All Things Digital site said.
Stanton's LinkedIn profile described her as a principal, new business development, at Google currently working on the implementation of Google's OpenSocial technology. OpenSocial was launched last November and is designed to help developers build social applications that can run on multiple sites.
Stanton was also co-founder of the elections team at Google that was involved in a number of elections-related projects, including creating maps to help voters find polling stations and interactive maps for tracking results.
A Google spokesman today declined to comment on Stanton's reported new job.
President Obama's reported tapping of a Google executive to lead efforts to make the White House more accessible to citizens via the Internet is not surprising. Google CEO Eric Schmidt has advised the president on economic policy and was at one point expected to be appointed his chief technology officer.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts