Microsoft's browser still slower than rivals, but 70% faster than Beta 2
Computerworld ran the SunSpider suite in Windows XP three times for each browser, then averaged the scores. In SunSpider, smaller numbers are better. The results were: Chrome 126.96.36.199 -- 1275; Firefox 3.0.5 -- 3037; Safari 3.2.1 -- 3050; Opera 9.63 -- 4139; and IE8 RC1 -- 5573.
Although IE8 RC1 was the slowest of the five browsers, its SunSpider score was approximately 70% faster than IE8 Beta 2's, which was released in August 2008, and tested by Computerworld last month.
However, Microsoft continues to dismiss benchmarks such as SunSpider. In an interview earlier this week when the company launched IE8 RC1, senior product manager James Pratt criticized such tests. He described them as "microbenchmarks" that place an emphasis on scores as a "drag race" that Microsoft isn't about to enter.
"We're at the point, with what people do in the browser, that users can't really tell the difference between browser [performance]," he said. "Beyond building a performance lab, which we've done, it's very difficult to tell which browser is fastest. The reality is that for most users, they'll all be comparable."
Other browser builders would disagree.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts