In battle for Friends, Facebook now twice as popular as MySpace
MySpace is still ahead in U.S. visitors, but Facebook dominates worldwide
Computerworld - The pioneer of the social networking phenomenon has been totally overshadowed as Facebook Inc. recorded almost double the number of global visitors in December than longtime leader MySpace.com Inc.
Facebook, once thought of as the up-and-coming social network, had almost 222 million unique visitors last month, while MySpace came in at 125 million, according to online researcher comScore Inc. That's a dramatic change since the race for unique visitors was a near dead heat in April 2008.
"The trend isn't new in terms of Facebook's phenomenal growth," said Andrew Lipsman, director of industry analysis at comScore. "It's doubled its number of visitors in the past year."
However, while Facebook holds a sizable lead worldwide, MySpace is still the champ in the U.S. Lipsman noted that Facebook has about 55 million American users every month, while MySpace has 75.9 million a month.
And two-thirds of MySpace users are based in the U.S., while only a quarter of Facebook's users are here in the states. Lipsman said Facebook has done a great job of luring in worldwide users, especially with its foreign language interfaces. In the markets with the new interfaces, he noted that Facebook quickly went from a small player to a leader in social networking.
"It's gained traction because it's become more culturally relevant," said Lipsman. "I think there's a lot of room for international growth [for MySpace]. MySpace is rooted in the music culture in the U.S., but it needs to transcend that market. Maybe there's an opportunity to strike a cord with international audiences."
Allan Krans, an analyst at Technology Business Research Inc., said Facebook is continuing to gain momentum because it continues to reach out to new users with promotions like this week's collaboration with CNN. In a somewhat new twist to social networking, a lot of techies watched Tuesday's inauguration of President Barack Obama with all of their Facebook friends. According to InsideFacebook.com, more than 1 million people had updated their Facebook status through the CNN.com Live Facebook feed as of halfway through Inauguration Day.
"The onus is on [MySpace] to reinvent themselves, attract a different segment of folks and attract some people back," said Krans. "You need to capture the next trend and not just catch up with what people are doing now."
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts