New York uses Google Maps to guide tourists
City uses Google tools to create Web site that helps people find Big Apple hot spots
Computerworld - If you're planning a trip to New York, you'll probably want to find restaurants, museums and all the big sights.
Well, that might be a little easier today than it ever has been using a Web site launched by the city today.
The informational Web site, created jointly by the city and Google Inc., aims to help visitors and residents find what they're looking for in the Big Apple. In a blog post today on the on the Google Web site, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he hopes that nycgo.com becomes the official online resource for tourists and residents looking for an activity or a place to go.
"In partnership with Google, we are launching a new Web site and Information Center to help make it easier for both visitors and residents to explore all the energy, excitement and diversity of New York City's five boroughs," wrote Bloomberg. "So whether you are a visitor or a resident, we invite you to explore New York City from your home computer, your mobile phone -- and of course, in person."
Bloomberg also noted that the New York City Information Center, which is located at 810 Seventh Ave., is still open as well. The center has interactive map tables, which are powered by Google Maps API for Flash. The tables are designed to let users navigate to various spots around the city and even create their own itineraries, which they then can send to their mobile phones. And the mayor added that the center features a video wall that uses Google Earth to show off a three-dimensional image of the city so visitors can further map out their itineraries.
New York is just the latest organization to use the Google Maps technology, For example, JetBlue Airways Corp. in 2007 jointly developed an application with Google that lets its passengers follow their flights in real time on the plane's seat-back televisions.
Read more about Government IT in Computerworld's Government IT Topic Center.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
- Osterman White Paper: The Need for Enterprise-Grade File Transfer
- Key trends in file transfer All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager: Online Product Demo Intelligent Investigation Manager optimizes fraud investigation and analysis and it dynamically coordinates and reports on cases, provides analysis and visualization, and enables more...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.