Ericsson profit declines, plans to cut 5,000 jobs
Says company must be prepared for tough times
IDG News Service - Swedish telecom equipment vendor Ericsson saw declining profits for its fourth quarter and will lay off 5,000 employees in a continuing effort to cut costs, the company said today.
The company plans to achieve annual savings of 10 billion Swedish kronor ($1.2 billion U.S.) from the second half of next year through the job cuts.
Around 1,000 people will be laid off in the Stockholm area. Ericsson will also reduce the number of consultants and other temporary staff, it said in a statement.
Ericsson must be prepared for tougher times and do everything it can to defend its current market position, said CEO Carl-Henric Svanberg. Ericsson said it's difficult to predict to what extent consumer spending on telecom services will be affected in the future.
Ericsson said its core infrastructure business has hardly been hit by the recession so far, but the company did see declining profits. Sales for 2008, however, were up compared to the previous year.
The company made a net profit of $466 million during the fourth quarter, compared to $669 million during the same period in 2007. Full-year profits came in at $1.3 billion, down from a net profit of $2.6 billion in 2007.
At the same time, sales during the fourth quarter increased by 23% to $8 billion compared to a year earlier. Sales for 2008 came to $25 billion, 11% higher than 2007.
- Microsoft to cut 5,000 jobs as profits fall
- Ballmer: Microsoft strained to minimize layoffs
- Frankly Speaking: For Microsoft, the pain is just beginning
- Microsoft layoffs could boost Seattle's tech industry in long run
- Sun trims 1,300 jobs; IBM layoffs start
- Intel to shut four plants, lay off 6,000
- Lenovo to lay off 2,500 staff, cut management pay
- Ericsson profit declines, plans to cut 5,000 jobs
- AMD to cut 1,100 jobs and slash salaries across company
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts