Sony Vaio P: A first look
Small size packs in a lot, but also has drawbacks
I was among the lucky few to get my hands on a pre-production evaluation unit from Sony. In the short time that I've used it so far, here's what I like and dislike about the P.
The Vaio P scores points on its insanely small size. It's really tiny. In fact, its depth is only a hair longer than my iPhone 3G. It may be a little too small for some, but if you're looking for the ultimate in tiny notebooks, the Vaio P is up your alley.
The 8-in. screen packs in an extremely high resolution of 1,600-by-768 pixels. Text and interface widgets are remarkably crisp on-screen, but quite small. Also, mousing on-screen with the built-in trackpoint (it has no trackpad) can be a little cumbersome; I find myself having to lean in a little in order to mouse around the screen. I haven't had it long enough to get a good read on possible eye strain problems, but if you struggle to see small text on typical notebook PCs as it is, you'd probably be better off looking at more conventional netbooks.
I find the keyboard is a bit small and it takes some getting used to, but the keyboard is certainly usable. I find that the slight differences in layout between the Vaio P's keyboard and my more typical notebook keyboard throws me off more than the keyboard's size.
Perhaps the best aspects of the Vaio P are its integrated Verizon EV-DO cellular broadband connection and its capability to fetch GPS data without an Internet connection. I haven't yet gotten a chance to play with the GPS. I find that of the browsing I've done so far here in Las Vegas, the Vaio P's EV-DO connection isn't quite as fast as a cable connection, but it's still pretty decent.
As Sony has yet to make an official announcement of pricing, it's hard to make a final call on the Vaio P just yet. Stay tuned for our full scored review of the Vaio P, and our continuing coverage from CES.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts