Facebook hits milestone -- 150 million users
Facebook has almost 75 million daily users in 170 countries and on every continent
Computerworld - It was a good way for Facebook Inc. executives to welcome in the new year.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg noted in his blog yesterday that the social networking site had hit a big milestone -- 150 million people are actively using Facebook. And another statistic of note is that nearly half of them use the network on a daily basis.
"This includes people in every continent -- even Antarctica," wrote Zuckerberg. "If Facebook were a country, it would be the eighth most populated in the world, just ahead of Japan, Russia and Nigeria."
The CEO also noted that people from 170 countries and territories use Facebook in 35 different languages.
Facebook grabbed a lot of attention and most likely a lot of new users during last year's political campaign. Presidential candidates Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain led the charge by heavily using social networking sites like Facebook, making the Internet a major political stomping ground. Obama's campaign was particularly successful, easily topping McCain in Facebook friends and Internet searches.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts