Facebook hits milestone -- 150 million users
Facebook has almost 75 million daily users in 170 countries and on every continent
Computerworld - It was a good way for Facebook Inc. executives to welcome in the new year.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg noted in his blog yesterday that the social networking site had hit a big milestone -- 150 million people are actively using Facebook. And another statistic of note is that nearly half of them use the network on a daily basis.
"This includes people in every continent -- even Antarctica," wrote Zuckerberg. "If Facebook were a country, it would be the eighth most populated in the world, just ahead of Japan, Russia and Nigeria."
The CEO also noted that people from 170 countries and territories use Facebook in 35 different languages.
Facebook grabbed a lot of attention and most likely a lot of new users during last year's political campaign. Presidential candidates Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain led the charge by heavily using social networking sites like Facebook, making the Internet a major political stomping ground. Obama's campaign was particularly successful, easily topping McCain in Facebook friends and Internet searches.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts