Facebook hits milestone -- 150 million users
Facebook has almost 75 million daily users in 170 countries and on every continent
Computerworld - It was a good way for Facebook Inc. executives to welcome in the new year.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg noted in his blog yesterday that the social networking site had hit a big milestone -- 150 million people are actively using Facebook. And another statistic of note is that nearly half of them use the network on a daily basis.
"This includes people in every continent -- even Antarctica," wrote Zuckerberg. "If Facebook were a country, it would be the eighth most populated in the world, just ahead of Japan, Russia and Nigeria."
The CEO also noted that people from 170 countries and territories use Facebook in 35 different languages.
Facebook grabbed a lot of attention and most likely a lot of new users during last year's political campaign. Presidential candidates Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain led the charge by heavily using social networking sites like Facebook, making the Internet a major political stomping ground. Obama's campaign was particularly successful, easily topping McCain in Facebook friends and Internet searches.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts