LG debuts wristwatch phone at CES
Touch Watch Phone to ship in Europe later this year
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- LG Electronics Inc. announced today a high-speed wireless wristwatch phone with video chat and text messaging capabilities at the International Consumer Electronics Show.
The Seoul-based electronics company said that the Touch Watch Phone will be the first 3G watch phone on the market and that it plans to put the device on display starting tomorrow at CES. The phone will initially ship in late 2009 in Europe.
Whether the watch phone ever ships in the U.S. depends on carriers in the U.S., an LG spokesman said. However, the company has strong relationships with all the major U.S. carriers, and it boasted in a press conference today that it was able to sell an LG phone every second in the U.S. in 2008.
LG said the device will be 13.9mm thick with a curved glass face and metal casing. It will run on HSDPA networks, offering 7.2Mbit/sec. of speed, LG added. The touch screen will be 1.43 in. in size.
The device will have voice recognition, text messaging and text-to-speech capabilities, LG said. It has a Flash interface and an MP3 player and will work with video telephony services where available. Details on the price and shipping date were not provided.
LG also said it will ship the LG Incite, a phone focused on business customers that runs Windows Mobile 6.1 and includes a 3-in. touch screen with vibration feedback, Wi-Fi and other features. In all, LG will feature 10 phone models at CES.
The electronics maker also said it is showing for the first time a large device called a Skycharger that will be used to gather wind and solar energy to provide electric charging capabilities for up to 104 cell phones per hour.
Users at airports or other public locations will be able to open a locker and connect a cable to any cell phone to get it charged. Details on the cost and the size of the Skycharger device were unavailable, but an LG spokesman said the Skycharger can generate 1.8 kilowatts of electrical power.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!