Clearwire launches WiMax service in Portland
High-speed wireless service is offered under the 'Clear' brand
The Baltimore market launched in September under the Xohm brand name when Sprint Nextel was the major operator. In December, Sprint, Clearwire, Intel Corp., Google Inc. and several cable companies closed a deal to form a joint venture with Clearwire for a nationwide WiMax rollout.
Clearwire in Kirkland, Wash., said in a statement that it will announce its 2009 rollouts early this year. Last fall, Sprint had also envisioned a complete Chicago rollout as well as Washington and other cities in early 2009. It also has 46 other markets it hopes to convert to full mobile WiMax from a pre-WiMax specification.
Clearwire services in Portland deliver 6Mbit/sec. download speeds with a residential modem and 4Mbit/sec. to a mobile device equipped with a WiMax radio. Plans can be purchased by the day or by the month, with mobile Internet plans starting at $30 a month or $10 a day. Several laptop makers are expected to support the WiMax specification. Motorola Inc. already offers a $50 USB modem for laptop connections.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts