Intel to cut Q4 forecast, cites weak demand
Intel expects revenue for the last quarter of FY 2008 to fall 23%
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. expects fourth-quarter revenue for fiscal 2008 to fall 23% compared to the same quarter in 2007 because of weaker demand for computer processors, the company said Wednesday.
The chip maker expects fourth-quarter revenue of $8.2 billion, down 20% compared to the previous quarter. Intel revised its fourth-quarter expectations ahead of its scheduled earnings announcement on Jan. 15.
Intel's grim news comes as technology companies are feeling the full brunt of the global economic crisis, as demand for software and hardware slows.
Intel also said it will take a much higher loss on other equity investments than it expected. The company will note a noncash charge in the fourth quarter of $950 million related to its investment in Clearwire Corp., which has a WiMax mobile broadband network.
Clearwire's stock hit a peak of more than $17 per share in February 2008, but has steadily fallen. It traded Wednesday around $5.09 a share.
Overall, Intel expects to lose between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion on equity investments rather than the $50 million it previously expected to lose.
Intel said it expects to have spent about $2.6 billion on research and development rather than $2.8 billion. Restructuring and asset impairment charges will be around $250 million, the same as the company's previous guidance.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts