Intel to cut Q4 forecast, cites weak demand
Intel expects revenue for the last quarter of FY 2008 to fall 23%
IDG News Service - Intel Corp. expects fourth-quarter revenue for fiscal 2008 to fall 23% compared to the same quarter in 2007 because of weaker demand for computer processors, the company said Wednesday.
The chip maker expects fourth-quarter revenue of $8.2 billion, down 20% compared to the previous quarter. Intel revised its fourth-quarter expectations ahead of its scheduled earnings announcement on Jan. 15.
Intel's grim news comes as technology companies are feeling the full brunt of the global economic crisis, as demand for software and hardware slows.
Intel also said it will take a much higher loss on other equity investments than it expected. The company will note a noncash charge in the fourth quarter of $950 million related to its investment in Clearwire Corp., which has a WiMax mobile broadband network.
Clearwire's stock hit a peak of more than $17 per share in February 2008, but has steadily fallen. It traded Wednesday around $5.09 a share.
Overall, Intel expects to lose between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion on equity investments rather than the $50 million it previously expected to lose.
Intel said it expects to have spent about $2.6 billion on research and development rather than $2.8 billion. Restructuring and asset impairment charges will be around $250 million, the same as the company's previous guidance.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Processors White Papers | Webcasts