Hate Microsoft Outlook? Top 10 annoyances and how to fix them
6. Click More Settings and select the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." Then select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server."
7. Click the Advanced tab. Check the box next to "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" under Incoming Server (POP3).
In the box next to Outgoing server (SMTP), enter 587. Select TLS from the drop-down menu next to "Use the following type of encrypted connection:".
Make sure that 995 is in the box next to Incoming Server (POP3). The screen should look like the one below.
8. Click OK. From the screen you're returned to, click Test Account Settings.
You should see a screen like the one below, showing you that you've set it up successfully. Click Close. From the screen that appears, click Finish. You're now ready to use Outlook with Gmail.
It's ironic -- or perhaps prophetic -- that we end with Gmail, since surveys indicate that more and more people are switching to Web-based mail.
Have your say
In the meantime, Microsoft Office continues to dominate in corporate environments, which means workers must find ways to make peace with Outlook. I hope I've managed to set you on the path to Outlook enlightenment.
Top 10 Outlook Annoyances
- Outlook is too darn slow
- Attachments make Outlook massively bloated
- Outlook's data file is $#%^ hard to find
- Searching, filtering and sorting are sub-par
- Outlook crashes constantly
- Its .pst files get corrupted
- Duplicate entries appear out of the blue
- Syncing Outlook on multiple PCs is tough
- Recipients see e-mails with weird characters
- Outlook won't play nice with Gmail
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts