Hate Microsoft Outlook? Top 10 annoyances and how to fix them
6. Click More Settings and select the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." Then select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server."
7. Click the Advanced tab. Check the box next to "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" under Incoming Server (POP3).
In the box next to Outgoing server (SMTP), enter 587. Select TLS from the drop-down menu next to "Use the following type of encrypted connection:".
Make sure that 995 is in the box next to Incoming Server (POP3). The screen should look like the one below.
8. Click OK. From the screen you're returned to, click Test Account Settings.
You should see a screen like the one below, showing you that you've set it up successfully. Click Close. From the screen that appears, click Finish. You're now ready to use Outlook with Gmail.
It's ironic -- or perhaps prophetic -- that we end with Gmail, since surveys indicate that more and more people are switching to Web-based mail.
Have your say
In the meantime, Microsoft Office continues to dominate in corporate environments, which means workers must find ways to make peace with Outlook. I hope I've managed to set you on the path to Outlook enlightenment.
Top 10 Outlook Annoyances
- Outlook is too darn slow
- Attachments make Outlook massively bloated
- Outlook's data file is $#%^ hard to find
- Searching, filtering and sorting are sub-par
- Outlook crashes constantly
- Its .pst files get corrupted
- Duplicate entries appear out of the blue
- Syncing Outlook on multiple PCs is tough
- Recipients see e-mails with weird characters
- Outlook won't play nice with Gmail
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts