CES: HP says new netbook can run for up to 8 hours between charges
Mini 2140 offers six-cell 'all day' battery as an option; conventional unit should last four hours
HP claims that by using a premium six-cell "all day" battery in conjunction with a power-sipping Intel Atom processor, the Mini 2140 should last for as long as eight hours before it needs to be recharged, thereby topping other netbooks now on the market.
Aimed at business users, the 2140 — which will be displayed at this week's International CES trade show in Las Vegas — is the successor to the 2133 Mini-Note system that HP released last year. Even with a conventional three-cell battery, the 2140 should be able to run up to four hours on a single charge, almost twice as long as the 2133's battery life of two hours and 15 minutes, according to Kyle Thornton, HP's worldwide product manager for business notebook PCs.
Thornton attributed the battery life boost to HP's switch from the 1.2-GHz Via C7-M processor used in the 2133 to the 1.6-GHz Atom N270, as well as improvements in the 2140's ability to dissipate heat. "We made a great improvement in the thermals," he said.
Netbooks have won fans by offering low prices and extreme portability. But they have mostly failed to deliver on promises of better battery life, despite using less-powerful components than regular notebook PCs do. According to reviewers, the most power-efficient netbooks, such as Acer Inc.'s Aspire One model, can run for up to five hours and 15 minutes in real-world applications, with most others capable of lasting between two and four hours.
Although HP's battery life claims are still untested, they could be a powerful differentiator for the vendor if true. HP tops the global market for notebook PCs but lags far behind in the rapidly expanding netbook business, which currently is dominated by Taiwan-based Acer and Asustek Computer Inc.
In the third quarter of 2008, HP was third in netbooks, with a 5.8% market share, according to research firm DisplaySearch LLC. Meanwhile, Acer and Asus held 38.3% and 30.3% of the market, respectively.
In addition to the 2133 Mini-Note, HP in October introduced a Mini 1000 netbook line for home users.
The 2133 has other drawbacks besides a short battery life. For instance, that system has also been criticized by some reviewers for being uncomfortably hot to touch while it's running. Thornton promised that the temperature of the 2140's case will remain under 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Ballmer unleashes Windows 7 public beta, available Friday
- Cisco down to business with gear for digital home
- CES vendors see good times for wireless despite downturn
- Storage for the less-than-tech-savvy
- Netgear talks about entertainment with panache - and NAS
- Iosafe starts the show with fireworks -- or, at least, a fire
- Motorola to offer phone made from recycled plastic bottles
- HP says new netbook can do 8 hours between charges
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts