IDG News Service - Dell Inc. will reorganize its divisions focused on selling to business customers, with the new units focusing on types of customers instead of geographic regions, the company announced Wednesday.
Instead of three business units focused on the Far East, the Americas, and Europe, Africa and the Middle East, Dell will have a large enterprise unit, a public unit, and a small and midsize business unit. The changes will help Dell better respond to customer requests and give it a global perspective instead of regionally run businesses, the company said in a press release.
"This puts us even closer than we are [now] to our customers," said Dell spokesman David Frink.
Dell's consumer business is already organized on a global level and won't be affected by this reorganization, the company said.
“Customer requirements are increasingly being defined by how they use technology rather than where they use it,” Michael Dell, the company's chairman and CEO, said in a statement. “That’s why we won’t let ourselves be limited by geographic boundaries in solving their needs.”
Dell did not announce major changes in the size of its workforce as part of the reorganization. However, the company is "always looking for ways to improve our cost structure," Frink said.
The company did announce that Mike Cannon, president of global operations, will retire effective Jan. 31. Cannon will be succeeded by Jeff Clarke, who, in addition to being head of Dell’s Business Client Product Group, will become vice chairman for global operations. Cannon will serve as a consultant to Dell.
Also, Chief Marketing Officer Mark Jarvis will leave Dell this fiscal quarter while remaining a consultant.
Dell has begun the reorganization process. The company plans to align its financial reporting with the new structure during the first half of its fiscal 2010, which begins in February.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Live Webcast
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts