IDG News Service - Dell Inc. will reorganize its divisions focused on selling to business customers, with the new units focusing on types of customers instead of geographic regions, the company announced Wednesday.
Instead of three business units focused on the Far East, the Americas, and Europe, Africa and the Middle East, Dell will have a large enterprise unit, a public unit, and a small and midsize business unit. The changes will help Dell better respond to customer requests and give it a global perspective instead of regionally run businesses, the company said in a press release.
"This puts us even closer than we are [now] to our customers," said Dell spokesman David Frink.
Dell's consumer business is already organized on a global level and won't be affected by this reorganization, the company said.
“Customer requirements are increasingly being defined by how they use technology rather than where they use it,” Michael Dell, the company's chairman and CEO, said in a statement. “That’s why we won’t let ourselves be limited by geographic boundaries in solving their needs.”
Dell did not announce major changes in the size of its workforce as part of the reorganization. However, the company is "always looking for ways to improve our cost structure," Frink said.
The company did announce that Mike Cannon, president of global operations, will retire effective Jan. 31. Cannon will be succeeded by Jeff Clarke, who, in addition to being head of Dell’s Business Client Product Group, will become vice chairman for global operations. Cannon will serve as a consultant to Dell.
Also, Chief Marketing Officer Mark Jarvis will leave Dell this fiscal quarter while remaining a consultant.
Dell has begun the reorganization process. The company plans to align its financial reporting with the new structure during the first half of its fiscal 2010, which begins in February.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts