Google, Apple, Microsoft sued over file preview
IDG News Service - A small Indiana company has sued tech heavyweights Microsoft, Apple and Google, claiming that it holds the patent on a common file-preview feature used by browsers and operating systems to show users small snapshots of the files before they are opened.
Cygnus Systems sued the three companies on Wednesday, saying that they infringed on its patent with products such as Windows Vista, Internet Explorer 8 and Google Chrome, which allow users to view preview images of documents on their computers. Mac OS X, the iPhone and Safari also infringe, the company said in court filings. Apple uses this technology in its Finder and Cover Flow Mac OS X features, the filings state.
While Cygnus has sued three very high-profile companies, they may not be the only vendors in Cygnus's sights. "They were a logical starting place for us," said Matt McAndrews, a partner with law firm Niro, Scavone, Haller & Niro, which is representing Cygnus. "We've identified many other potentially infringing products that we're investigating," he added.
Cygnus' owner and president, Gregory Swartz, developed the technology described in the patent, while working on IT consulting projects, McAndrews said. The company is looking for "a reasonable royalty" as well as a court injunction preventing further infringement, he said.
The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Arizona, where Swartz resides, McAndrews said.
Google, Microsoft and Apple did not return messages seeking comment on the suit.
Cygnus applied for its patent (No. 7346850) in 2001. It covers a "system and method for iconic software environment management" and was granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in March.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
Today, many government agencies – civilian and defense – find themselves in a technology quandary: the volume of data that must be stored is growing rapidly, while shrinking budgets are limiting capital expenditures (i.e. – servers, storage devices, etc.) required to store all of this data.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Top Three Reasons Why Customers Deploy EMC VNX with EMC VPLEX
- What if you could build a cost effective, continuously available storage infrastructure? Learn the top reasons users are deploying EMC VNX with EMC...
- Clearing the Clouds for Midmarket Businesses
- The 10-point checklist included in this expert brief has been developed to help small and midsize businesses select the cloud model and cloud...
- Perforce Case Study
- Learn how EMC cost-effectively transformed their infrastructure and improved storage performance by 60% by unifying storage, deploying virtualization and leveraging Flash to meet...
- Data Center Transformation: Balancing user demands with IT mandates
- There's a flood of user requirements, computing trends, and new technologies driving the need for you to look closely at your IT infrastructure. All Government IT White Papers
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth?
- Bring Mobile Innovation to your Enterprise.
- With the mobility revolution well underway, CIO's and Line of Business owners are faced with the struggle to develop a winning mobile strategy. All Government IT Webcasts