IDG News Service - Palm Inc. today received a cash infusion from a venture capital firm that could help the smart phone maker recover from its struggles.
Under terms of the agreement between the two companies, Elevation Partners will provide $100 million and increase its investment in Palm.
The investment comes at a time when Palm is struggling to remain a player in the mobile phone market, where it has been eclipsed by rivals Research In Motion Ltd. and Apple Inc. Palm's product offerings include the Centro and Treo smart phones.
"The additional capital from Elevation Partners will enable us to put added momentum behind the new product introductions scheduled for 2009 and will provide us with enhanced stability in unsettled economic times," Ed Colligan, Palm's CEO, said in a statement.
In a statement issued last week announcing the company's second-quarter financial results, Colligan acknowledged that the company was working through an "undeniably difficult period."
Palm reported revenue of $191.6 million for its second fiscal quarter, which ended Nov. 30. In the same quarter a year earlier, it reported revenue of $349.6 million. In the quarter, the company sold 599,000 smart phones -- 13% fewer than it sold a year earlier; revenue from smart phones dropped 39% from last year's level.
The company may continue to struggle through next year, since overall sales in the mobile phone market are expected to slow down. IDC last week said mobile phone shipments would decline by more than 2% next year compared to 2008. That's the largest decline since 2001, IDC said, noting that the global economic crisis was a major factor in the drop.
Palm will reportedly introduce new smart phones next year, as well as a new Linux-based mobile operating system code-named Nova.
Palm's agreement with Elevation Partners calls for Elevation to pay $3.25 per share for Palm stock, a 31% premium on the closing price of the company's shares last Friday. The deal is expected to close by the end of January.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts