Intel ships 160GB solid-state disk drives
The 1.8-in. version is due out next month
The X25-M product is shipping now, and the 1.8-in. 160GB version will ship next month.
Intel announced the 80GB X25-M and X18-M -- it's first foray into the SSD market -- at its Developer Forum in August and shortly after announced the X25-E for enterprise servers and workstations. The 32GB Intel X25-E Extreme SATA is based on Intel's single-level cell NAND flash memory and is designed to maximize the input/output operations per second, while the X25-M is a multilevel cell memory, affording it greater capacity.
Computerworld reviewed the 80GB X25-M in September and found it to be the fastest consumer-grade SSD on the market to date. The X25-M even beat out Western Digital's fastest Velociraptor hard disk drive, which has a 250.2MB/sec. burst speed and 105.6MB/sec. average read speed. The X25-M turned in 256.7MB/sec. and 230.2MB/sec. burst and transfer rates, respectively. Intel said the data throughput on the new 160GB model remains the same as its 80GB predecessor
Current pricing for both of the new 160GB Intel SSD drives is $945 in quantities of under 1,000.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts