Motorola to cut co-CEO pay, freeze 401(k) matches for workers
The co-CEOs will take a 25% cut in base pay
IDG News Service - Motorola Inc. will cut the 2009 salaries of its co-CEOs, suspend matching contributions to employee 401(k) retirement accounts and freeze its pension plans in an effort to reduce costs, the company announced Wednesday.
Motorola said it will permanently freeze its U.S. pension plans as of March 1. Vested pension benefits accrued by employees and retirees will still be available, but the company will no longer pay future benefits, it said. Motorola plans to continue to meet its current pension obligations.
Motorola previously announced cost-cutting measures expected to save $800 million on Oct. 30, the same day the company reported a quarterly net loss of $397 million.
The suspension of 401(k) matching funds will become effective on Jan. 1. U.S. employees can continue to contribute to their 401(k) accounts, but their contributions will not be matched.
In addition, co-CEOs Greg Brown and Sanjay Jha will voluntarily take a 25% cut in their base salaries. Brown had his base salary increased from $950,000 to $1.2 million in January. Jha, named co-CEO in August after leaving Qualcomm Inc., also has a base salary of $1.2 million, according to reports.
Brown will also voluntarily pass up any 2008 cash bonuses earned under the Motorola incentive plan. Jha's employment contract reportedly provides for a $2.4 million guaranteed cash bonus for 2008. His bonus will also be voluntarily reduced by an amount equal to Brown's forfeited bonus, and the remainder will be taken in the form of restricted stock units, the company said.
"The sustained downturn in the global economy requires that we take these difficult but necessary steps," Brown and Jha said in a statement. "While serving our customers remains a top priority, we are equally focused on our cost structure, and we will continue to implement appropriate measures to conserve cash and reduce expenses."
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.