Lenovo Mobile's expected Android handset appears online
It may be evidence of an Android phone based on China's 3G standard
IDG News Service - Pictures of a Lenovo Mobile Communications handset bearing the logo of China's largest mobile operator have spread online, rumored to be proof of an upcoming Android handset that's based on China's homegrown 3G mobile standard.
The pictures, posted by ModMyGphone.com, show a handset with a large screen and a single hardware button that's reminiscent of Apple's 3G iPhone. Specifications provided with the pictures, which do not show what operating system the phone uses, claim the handset has a 5-megapixel camera and room for an add-in SD (Secure Digital) memory card.
An earlier post on the same site said the Lenovo Mobile handset is called the OPhone, runs the Android operating system and supports China's TD-SCDMA (Time Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access) 3G standard.
While both companies use the same logo, Lenovo Mobile should not be confused with Lenovo Group, the PC maker and former parent of Lenovo Mobile. Lenovo spun off its ailing mobile unit as a separate company earlier this year. The $100 million buyout of Lenovo Mobile was led by Hony Capital, the private equity arm of Lenovo's Beijing-based parent company, Legend Holdings.
Lenovo Mobile, which is not a member of the Open Handset Alliance that backs Android, could not be reached for comment on the pictures. But the company was one of the first Chinese vendors to produce TD-SCDMA handsets and produces smart phones that run Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system, suggesting a TD-SCDMA smart phone based on Android is within the company's capabilities.
In addition, China Mobile Communications, the country's largest mobile operator, is widely expected to get a license to offer 3G services based on TD-SCDMA. The operator, which is an OHA member, could also not be reached for comment on the handset pictures.
China is expected to issue licenses for 3G services either this month or during January. If the Lenovo Mobile handset depicted in the pictures is genuine, it's likely to appear on the market at about the same time or shortly thereafter.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts