Apple bails on Macworld Expo after '09 show
And CEO Steve Jobs will be a no-show at next month's Expo
And in a move likely to spark renewed questions about CEO Steve Jobs' health, Apple said the keynote speech at the upcoming show, which runs Jan. 5-9, will be delivered by Phil Schiller, the company's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing.
Schiller is scheduled to speak at the Moscone Center's Moscone West hall at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Jan. 6.
In its statement, Apple said it is "reaching more people in more ways than ever before" and -- as is likely the case for many companies -- "trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers." The company pointed to traffic in its retail stores -- as well as visits to its Web site -- as other ways in which it can reach customers.
"Apple has been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris," the company said in its statement.
It was not immediately clear what effect Apple's decision would have on the future of Macworld. A similar move by the company effectively ended an East Coast version of the expo that used to be held in Boston.
Mac fans had already been speculating about Jobs' expected appearance at Macworld, with many noting that nothing had been officially announced. Jobs, who faced a cancer scare several years ago, has in recent months dismissed concerns about his health.
Apple isn't the only one lowering its profile at the show. Adobe Systems Inc. said earlier this month that it had decided not to exhibit at the show.
Macworld is considered something of a rite of passage for dedicated Mac fans, and Apple has used the event numerous times to unveil new products. Earlier this year, Jobs unveiled the MacBook Air at the show.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!