Gartner sees falloff in software spending
Enterprise software spending will hit $229.2B this year
IDG News Service - Gartner Inc. has lowered its worldwide enterprise software spending forecast, citing "a combination of economic, technical and regional forces."
The analyst firm said Thursday that 2008 spending will total $229.2 billion, instead of the $231.2 billion that it predicted in September.
Software spending will jump by 6.6% in 2009 to $244.3 billion, down from Gartner's previous forecast of 9.5% growth and $253.1 billion.
Gartner said it revised the numbers because of the effects of the economic recession on a number of key countries, recent earnings warnings from software vendors, and exchange rates shifts that have devalued the euro and British pound against the dollar.
The slowdown in spending overall will be pervasive, cutting across all geographic regions and vendors, but some technologies will fare better than others, Gartner said.
For example, the dismal economy will cause companies to delay or even cancel SOA (service-oriented architecture) projects for now, and those plans will be slow to resurface.
But software aimed at optimizing how organizations are run, such as BPM (business process management) and MDM (master data management) will fare better, Gartner said.
Enterprises seeking to cut costs will also be drawn to open-source software, virtualization technologies and, because of tightening business travel budgets, unified messaging and collaboration technologies.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts