IDG News Service - Hit by the global economic slowdown, Adobe Systems Inc. said Wednesday that it would cut 600 jobs and lowered its revenue expectations for the fourth quarter.
The job cuts will be made worldwide and account for about 8% of Adobe's total workforce, which stood at 7,623 at the end of September.
The economic slowdown led to slower-than-expected sales of Adobe's new Creative Suite 4 software package, which went on sale during the fourth quarter in North America and Europe, the company said. Creative Suite 4 includes products like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
"The global economic crisis significantly impacted our revenue during the fourth quarter," Adobe President and CEO Shantanu Narayen said in a statement.
For its fiscal fourth quarter, which ended Nov. 28, Adobe said it expects its revenue to be between $912 million and $915 million, down from its earlier forecast of $925 million to $955 million. Profits will be higher than expected, however, at $0.59 to $0.60 per share before one-time charges; that would beat the consensus analyst estimate of $0.51 per share, according to Thomson Reuters.
The news caused Adobe's stock price to fall 7% to $20.95 per share in after-hours trading. Adobe is due to report its full results Dec. 16.
Adobe joins a growing list of technology companies, including SAP, Intel and Sun Microsystems, that have been hurt by the economic downturn.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.