Sun rolls out its JavaFX Rich Internet Application tool
JavaFX is used to develop RIAs for desktops, the Web, mobile devices and televisions
Computerworld - Sun Microsystems Inc. today rolled out the first version of its JavaFX runtime and tools, which support the development of Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) that can run on desktops, in browsers, in mobile devices and on televisions. Sun said that JavaFX 1.0 is aimed at providing a unified development and deployment model for developers and Web designers to build RIAs with audio, video, rich text, advanced graphics, animation and Web services.
"Rich interactive experiences are powering this next wave of Internet evolution," said Eric Klein, Sun's vice president of Java marketing. "While we have this very large installed base of Java users ... we want to add for them the ability to create those type of experiences. Our goal is to build the expressive platform for Rich Internet Applications."
The 1.0 release of JavaFX includes the JavaFX Development Environment, the JavaFX Production Suite and the JavaFX Desktop. The development environment includes the compiler and runtime tools, graphics, media, Web services, rich text libraries and the NetBeans Integrated Development Environment (IDE) 6.5. It also includes a mobile emulator for developers to preview building mobile applications in the JavaFX mobile platform, which will be available to Sun's mobile partners in the spring of 2009.
The production suite includes tools and plug-ins aimed at allowing Web designers to reduce production times. The suite includes support for converting media content created in tools like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrated into JavaFX applications.
JavaFX Desktop uses the main features of the Java Platform Standard Edition 6 Update 10 to allow users to drag and drop applets that are running in their browser directly on their desktop, Sun added.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts