Apple sued for patent infringement over iPhone
Company claims iPhone's Internet navigation infringes its patent
EMG's patent, filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and given U.S. patent number 7,441,196, describes an "apparatus and method of manipulating a region on a wireless device screen for viewing, zooming and scrolling Internet content." The patent was filed on March 13, 2006, and granted on Oct. 21. The suit was brought in the District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. The "'196 patent," as the suit describes it, sports 76 individual claims. One of the claims covers the display of Internet content reformatted from HTML to XML on mobile devices. EMG describes it as "the industry standard currently displayed by the iPhone." Additional patent claims include the technology for manipulating a region of the screen for zooming and editing.
"The '196 patent covers the simplified interface of reformatted mobile content to provide optimum viewing and navigation with single touches on a small screen," said Stanley Gibson, an attorney representing EMG.
Representatives from Apple were unavailable for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts