Facebook wins $873M judgment in spam suit
It's one of the largest awards ever from a lawsuit brought under the CAN-SPAM Act
The suit charged Adam Guerbuez, Atlantis Blue Capital and 25 other unnamed people for falsely obtaining log-in information for Facebook users and then sending spam to those users' friends.
Guerbuez and the others set up fake Facebook pages where users would enter their log-in details, which the spammers could then steal, Facebook charged in the suit. During the months of March and April this year, the spammers used the stolen log-in names to send more than 4 million spam messages over Facebook's network, the social networking site alleged.
The spam messages would show up on Facebook users' profile pages and appeared to indicate that the users endorsed products such as marijuana, male enhancement pills and other materials, according to the suit.
Guerbuez is a Canadian citizen, and Atlantis Blue Capital is a company name he uses to register domain names, Facebook said.
The activities violated CAN-SPAM (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act) and other computer fraud and privacy laws, Facebook said.
On Friday, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose ruled that the defendants violated the CAN-SPAM Act. They were ordered to pay Facebook $873 million in damages. The judgment also included injunctions preventing Guerbuez and his colleagues from accessing any Facebook data in the future.
Earlier this year, a MySpace spammer was ordered to pay more than $230 million for violating CAN-SPAM. At the time, that was believed to be the largest award yet under the act.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts