Facebook wins $873M judgment in spam suit
It's one of the largest awards ever from a lawsuit brought under the CAN-SPAM Act
The suit charged Adam Guerbuez, Atlantis Blue Capital and 25 other unnamed people for falsely obtaining log-in information for Facebook users and then sending spam to those users' friends.
Guerbuez and the others set up fake Facebook pages where users would enter their log-in details, which the spammers could then steal, Facebook charged in the suit. During the months of March and April this year, the spammers used the stolen log-in names to send more than 4 million spam messages over Facebook's network, the social networking site alleged.
The spam messages would show up on Facebook users' profile pages and appeared to indicate that the users endorsed products such as marijuana, male enhancement pills and other materials, according to the suit.
Guerbuez is a Canadian citizen, and Atlantis Blue Capital is a company name he uses to register domain names, Facebook said.
The activities violated CAN-SPAM (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act) and other computer fraud and privacy laws, Facebook said.
On Friday, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose ruled that the defendants violated the CAN-SPAM Act. They were ordered to pay Facebook $873 million in damages. The judgment also included injunctions preventing Guerbuez and his colleagues from accessing any Facebook data in the future.
Earlier this year, a MySpace spammer was ordered to pay more than $230 million for violating CAN-SPAM. At the time, that was believed to be the largest award yet under the act.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!