Facebook wins $873M judgment in spam suit
It's one of the largest awards ever from a lawsuit brought under the CAN-SPAM Act
The suit charged Adam Guerbuez, Atlantis Blue Capital and 25 other unnamed people for falsely obtaining log-in information for Facebook users and then sending spam to those users' friends.
Guerbuez and the others set up fake Facebook pages where users would enter their log-in details, which the spammers could then steal, Facebook charged in the suit. During the months of March and April this year, the spammers used the stolen log-in names to send more than 4 million spam messages over Facebook's network, the social networking site alleged.
The spam messages would show up on Facebook users' profile pages and appeared to indicate that the users endorsed products such as marijuana, male enhancement pills and other materials, according to the suit.
Guerbuez is a Canadian citizen, and Atlantis Blue Capital is a company name he uses to register domain names, Facebook said.
The activities violated CAN-SPAM (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act) and other computer fraud and privacy laws, Facebook said.
On Friday, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose ruled that the defendants violated the CAN-SPAM Act. They were ordered to pay Facebook $873 million in damages. The judgment also included injunctions preventing Guerbuez and his colleagues from accessing any Facebook data in the future.
Earlier this year, a MySpace spammer was ordered to pay more than $230 million for violating CAN-SPAM. At the time, that was believed to be the largest award yet under the act.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!