Judgment favors Novell in ongoing SCO case
But SCO can still file an appeal
IDG News Service - Another chapter in the lengthy legal saga between SCO and Novell is closed, with the release of a final judgment by a Utah court on Thursday.
The judgment largely reiterates earlier orders dismissing copyright infringement, slander and breach-of-contract claims brought by SCO, but it also prevents SCO from being able to dismiss certain claims and then revive those same claims in potential future appeals.
One legal observer sees the ruling, handed down in the U.S. District Court for the district of Utah, as another loss for SCO, which can still appeal the decision.
That makes this another blow for SCO, said Pamela Jones, a paralegal who has closely followed the SCO v. Novell case since its beginning on her Groklaw Web site. The wording of the final judgment is similar to what Novell suggested to the court as the companies argued the issue, she said.
SCO has lost a number of rulings in the ongoing battle with Novell, including a major loss last year when a judge decided that SCO owes Novell for licensing revenues SCO received from Sun Microsystems and Microsoft.
Prior to that ruling, the long-running dispute served as a threat to Linux users who might have feared legal action from SCO. SCO had charged IBM with copyright infringement over the use of Unix, a charge the court essentially said wasn't valid.
- 7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration OS migration is typically time-consuming and expensive. To make your next migration easy, follow these six recommendations when planning your project.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever. All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts