IDG News Service - Verizon Wireless has suspended several employees who accessed account information for a flip phone formerly used by President-elect Barack Obama, the company said in a statement Thursday.
The phone used by Obama was not designed for e-mail or data services and had been inactive for several months, Verizon Wireless said. Recently, Obama has frequently been seen using a BlackBerry.
Verizon Wireless is investigating those workers who accessed the account with and without authorization, the company said. The employees are on paid leave. Those who have "accessed the account improperly and without legitimate business justification will face appropriate disciplinary action," Verizon Wireless said.
“We apologize to President-elect Obama and will work to keep the trust our customers place in us every day,” read a statement attributed to Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam.
Verizon's investigation is likely to prompt further questions over data security. Security experts frequently warn of the danger a company's own employees can pose to data if given improper access or if they start acting maliciously.
In recent days, pundits have speculated that Obama may have to give up his BlackBerry because of concerns about presidential communication going over e-mail and the risk that it could be intercepted. U.S. government computer systems are frequently targeted by hackers and foreign intelligence agencies.
Obama and tech
- Obama's choice for DHS could flame tech visa battle
- Verizon employees accessed Obama's mobile record
- Obama administration to inherit tough cybersecurity challenges
- Dan Tynan: Obama's CTO -- Just do what, exactly?
- Thousands flock to site collecting ideas for Obama's CTO
- Analysis: With Obama win, Google emerges as a D.C. player
- Dan Tynan: The 21st Century President
- My.BarackObama.com social network stays online after election
- Google-enabled government starts with Obama's CTO
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts