Sun adds query analysis tool to MySQL Enterprise
IDG News Service - Sun has upgraded MySQL Enterprise, its subscription-based service for the open-source MySQL database, adding access to a query analysis tool for tracking and fixing problematic code and performance issues.
The tool allows users to perform real-time analysis of "all queries across all servers," as well as search and sort them according to metrics such as content, date/time and query type, according to Sun.
MySQL users can already investigate poor query performance through the database's "slow query" log, but the new tool makes the process much more efficient, said Rob Young, senior product manager for MySQL Enterprise.
One analyst said the tool is a welcome addition to the service, but not groundbreaking.
"MySQL Query Analyzer is just one of many ways in which MySQL is playing catch-up with more mature DBMS products," said Curt Monash, founder of Monash Research, via e-mail. "It should be helpful to smaller enterprises that do their reporting on MySQL."
The tool has been integrated with MySQL Enterprise Monitor, which helps database administrators track the health of their servers.
Subscribers to the MySQL Enterprise service get monthly software updates, service packs each quarter and "emergency hot fix builds," as well as 24/7 support.
The updated service is scheduled to be available within a month. Pricing ranges from $599 to $4,999 per server per year, or as an "unlimited sitewide agreement" that starts at $40,000 per year. Sun is also offering free 30-day trial subscriptions.
The company, which announced it was laying off up to 6,000 employees last week, is banking increasingly on software assets like MySQL as its high-end server business continues to struggle.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!