Sun adds query analysis tool to MySQL Enterprise
IDG News Service - Sun has upgraded MySQL Enterprise, its subscription-based service for the open-source MySQL database, adding access to a query analysis tool for tracking and fixing problematic code and performance issues.
The tool allows users to perform real-time analysis of "all queries across all servers," as well as search and sort them according to metrics such as content, date/time and query type, according to Sun.
MySQL users can already investigate poor query performance through the database's "slow query" log, but the new tool makes the process much more efficient, said Rob Young, senior product manager for MySQL Enterprise.
One analyst said the tool is a welcome addition to the service, but not groundbreaking.
"MySQL Query Analyzer is just one of many ways in which MySQL is playing catch-up with more mature DBMS products," said Curt Monash, founder of Monash Research, via e-mail. "It should be helpful to smaller enterprises that do their reporting on MySQL."
The tool has been integrated with MySQL Enterprise Monitor, which helps database administrators track the health of their servers.
Subscribers to the MySQL Enterprise service get monthly software updates, service packs each quarter and "emergency hot fix builds," as well as 24/7 support.
The updated service is scheduled to be available within a month. Pricing ranges from $599 to $4,999 per server per year, or as an "unlimited sitewide agreement" that starts at $40,000 per year. Sun is also offering free 30-day trial subscriptions.
The company, which announced it was laying off up to 6,000 employees last week, is banking increasingly on software assets like MySQL as its high-end server business continues to struggle.
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!