Sun adds query analysis tool to MySQL Enterprise
IDG News Service - Sun has upgraded MySQL Enterprise, its subscription-based service for the open-source MySQL database, adding access to a query analysis tool for tracking and fixing problematic code and performance issues.
The tool allows users to perform real-time analysis of "all queries across all servers," as well as search and sort them according to metrics such as content, date/time and query type, according to Sun.
MySQL users can already investigate poor query performance through the database's "slow query" log, but the new tool makes the process much more efficient, said Rob Young, senior product manager for MySQL Enterprise.
One analyst said the tool is a welcome addition to the service, but not groundbreaking.
"MySQL Query Analyzer is just one of many ways in which MySQL is playing catch-up with more mature DBMS products," said Curt Monash, founder of Monash Research, via e-mail. "It should be helpful to smaller enterprises that do their reporting on MySQL."
The tool has been integrated with MySQL Enterprise Monitor, which helps database administrators track the health of their servers.
Subscribers to the MySQL Enterprise service get monthly software updates, service packs each quarter and "emergency hot fix builds," as well as 24/7 support.
The updated service is scheduled to be available within a month. Pricing ranges from $599 to $4,999 per server per year, or as an "unlimited sitewide agreement" that starts at $40,000 per year. Sun is also offering free 30-day trial subscriptions.
The company, which announced it was laying off up to 6,000 employees last week, is banking increasingly on software assets like MySQL as its high-end server business continues to struggle.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts