Gartner: Open source in every business within 12 months
Computerworld UK - Open-source software is almost universal in the enterprise, a survey from analyst group Gartner Inc. has confirmed.
New research has highlighted how pervasive open-source software (OSS) has become, with 85% of companies currently using OSS and the remaining 15% expecting to in the next 12 months.
The findings come from a Gartner survey conducted in May and June that covered 274 end-user organizations in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and North America.
The results raise a series of management issues for businesses. The analyst group found that 69% of companies surveyed lack a formal policy for evaluating and cataloguing OSS usage. This could open up "huge potential liabilities for intellectual-property violations," it warned.
"Just because something is free doesn't mean that it has no cost," said Laurie Wurster, research director at Gartner.
"Companies must have a policy for procuring OSS, deciding which applications will be supported by OSS and identifying the intellectual property risk or supportability risk associated with using OSS. Once a policy is in place, then there must be a governance process to enforce it," she added.
OSS is being deployed almost equally in mission-critical and non-mission-critical environments for new projects, said Gartner.
The top three reasons for using OSS were total cost of ownership, cheaper development and the fact that it is easier to embark on new IT projects or software initiatives using an open-source base.
"Some respondents indicated that they also use OSS as investment protection against a single vendor 'owning' the entire IT department," Gartner noted.
Others said that the major business reason was faster time to market for new products and the ability to avoid complex procurement rules and procedures.
However, the survey revealed that governance was the single most important challenge for OSS users, followed by conflicting terms and conditions and the availability of too many license types and forms.
"Understanding when and how an OSS alternative may be used is a frustrating process, especially when there are so many license types and forms from which to choose," said Wurster.
"As time goes by, many of these concerns will be addressed, but this continues to be a slow process. Increases in OSS popularity and in the rate of OSS adoption will drive the required changes."
The following are the most important business processes where OSS projects are used:
- Customer service
- Enterprise integration
- Finance and administration
- Business analytics
- Sales and marketing
- Sales and marketing
- Customer analytics
- Field service
- ERP and CRM
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts