Gartner: Open source in every business within 12 months
Computerworld UK - Open-source software is almost universal in the enterprise, a survey from analyst group Gartner Inc. has confirmed.
New research has highlighted how pervasive open-source software (OSS) has become, with 85% of companies currently using OSS and the remaining 15% expecting to in the next 12 months.
The findings come from a Gartner survey conducted in May and June that covered 274 end-user organizations in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and North America.
The results raise a series of management issues for businesses. The analyst group found that 69% of companies surveyed lack a formal policy for evaluating and cataloguing OSS usage. This could open up "huge potential liabilities for intellectual-property violations," it warned.
"Just because something is free doesn't mean that it has no cost," said Laurie Wurster, research director at Gartner.
"Companies must have a policy for procuring OSS, deciding which applications will be supported by OSS and identifying the intellectual property risk or supportability risk associated with using OSS. Once a policy is in place, then there must be a governance process to enforce it," she added.
OSS is being deployed almost equally in mission-critical and non-mission-critical environments for new projects, said Gartner.
The top three reasons for using OSS were total cost of ownership, cheaper development and the fact that it is easier to embark on new IT projects or software initiatives using an open-source base.
"Some respondents indicated that they also use OSS as investment protection against a single vendor 'owning' the entire IT department," Gartner noted.
Others said that the major business reason was faster time to market for new products and the ability to avoid complex procurement rules and procedures.
However, the survey revealed that governance was the single most important challenge for OSS users, followed by conflicting terms and conditions and the availability of too many license types and forms.
"Understanding when and how an OSS alternative may be used is a frustrating process, especially when there are so many license types and forms from which to choose," said Wurster.
"As time goes by, many of these concerns will be addressed, but this continues to be a slow process. Increases in OSS popularity and in the rate of OSS adoption will drive the required changes."
The following are the most important business processes where OSS projects are used:
- Customer service
- Enterprise integration
- Finance and administration
- Business analytics
- Sales and marketing
- Sales and marketing
- Customer analytics
- Field service
- ERP and CRM
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts