FBI probes data theft blackmail scheme
Data thieves threaten to release millions of patient records
IDG News Service - Data thieves are threatening to release millions of patient records held by a U.S. prescription drug management company unless the company pays up.
Express Scripts in St. Louis said on Thursday it received a letter in early October with the names, birth dates, Social Security numbers and some prescription information for 75 patients. The company provides benefit management services to health care organizations, insurers and other businesses.
"While we are unaware at this time of any actual misuse of any members' information, we understand the concern that this situation has caused our members," Express Scripts said on a Web site set up to provide information on the breach.
The company has also included contact information for credit monitoring agencies and other resources for people who believed they may be a victim of fraud.
Express Scripts said it has a variety of security systems to protect patient data but said no system is invulnerable. Officials have identified where the data was stored and have implemented "enhanced controls," the company said.
The data breach at Express Scripts underscores the trouble enterprises and governments are having protecting their data from loss, theft and inadvertent disclosure.
Since January 2005, more than 230 million records involving the personal data of U.S. residents have been compromised due to breaches, according to the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse's Chronology of Data Breaches.
Hackers targeting an insecure wireless network at retailer The TJX Companies Inc. resulted in upward of 94 million credit and debit card accounts being compromised in 2007.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!