FBI probes data theft blackmail scheme
Data thieves threaten to release millions of patient records
IDG News Service - Data thieves are threatening to release millions of patient records held by a U.S. prescription drug management company unless the company pays up.
Express Scripts in St. Louis said on Thursday it received a letter in early October with the names, birth dates, Social Security numbers and some prescription information for 75 patients. The company provides benefit management services to health care organizations, insurers and other businesses.
"While we are unaware at this time of any actual misuse of any members' information, we understand the concern that this situation has caused our members," Express Scripts said on a Web site set up to provide information on the breach.
The company has also included contact information for credit monitoring agencies and other resources for people who believed they may be a victim of fraud.
Express Scripts said it has a variety of security systems to protect patient data but said no system is invulnerable. Officials have identified where the data was stored and have implemented "enhanced controls," the company said.
The data breach at Express Scripts underscores the trouble enterprises and governments are having protecting their data from loss, theft and inadvertent disclosure.
Since January 2005, more than 230 million records involving the personal data of U.S. residents have been compromised due to breaches, according to the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse's Chronology of Data Breaches.
Hackers targeting an insecure wireless network at retailer The TJX Companies Inc. resulted in upward of 94 million credit and debit card accounts being compromised in 2007.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts