Yahoo adds social features to Yahoo Buzz
Updates expand on Yahoo Open Strategy with new comments section, activity hub
Computerworld - Yahoo Inc. this week added new social elements to the beta version of its Yahoo Buzz social news site, which identifies the top news stories and blog posts based on user votes and search patterns.
On Thursday, Yahoo announced that it has added the ability to include elements from a Yahoo user's universal profile on the site by highlighting information from his friend connections. The update expands on the Yahoo Open Strategy that is aimed at opening all Yahoo platforms and data to third parties, and expanding the availability of social features.
A new updates section on Buzz will allow users to more easily find content their friends have voted for on the Buzz site, Yahoo said. In addition, Yahoo added a comments area that lets users reply to and provide a thumbs up or thumbs down to the comments of other users.
Finally, Yahoo added an expanded permissions-based activity hub that lets users access and view a profile summary and voting history of fellow users, Yahoo added. The hub also shows the number of times a user was the first person to vote or submit a story, the most recent stories they voted on and comments they have written, according to Yahoo.
Yahoo first launched Buzz in February, prompting many industry observers to call it a "Digg clone." The site was first available to selected users before it was opened to all publishers in August.
Adam Ostrow, a blogger at Mashable, noted that the updates make Buzz look even more like Digg, but with Yahoo's more mainstream user base in mind.
"These new features are interesting for a couple reasons," he added. "First, they show the potential of the Yahoo Open Strategy -- users of Buzz essentially become users of Yahoo's new universal profile, helping create a huge social network behind the scenes. Additionally, it is starting to become increasingly obvious that Yahoo Buzz is going to keep adding the same features as Digg, as it did when it launched its Up & Coming section a couple months back."
Yahoo Buzz, he added, looks to be a bright spot for the company, which has been put in a precarious position this week after Google Inc. walked away from a proposed advertising deal between the two. After Google's announcement, Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang said a takeover by Microsoft Corp. might be the best thing for the company.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts