Ex-Intel worker indicted on $1B trade secrets theft
Biswamohan Pani, 33, of Worcester, Mass., was a design engineer at Intel's Hudson, Mass., offices before being hired away by AMD in June, according to the Worcester Telegram & Gazette .
Pani is accused of accessing Intel's network remotely and downloading 13 top-secret documents and other proprietary information related to methods for designing microprocessors, "including a document explaining how the encrypted documents could be reviewed when not connected to Intel's computer system," the Telegram reports.
Prosecutors say AMD was not aware of Pani's alleged thefts and did not benefit from them, the Associated Press reported. Instead, prosecutors say Pani planned to use the secrets to advance his career at AMD. The information Pani allegedly downloaded "was worth more than $1 billion in research and development costs," the Associated Press reported. Pani told investigators he downloaded the top-secret documents to help his wife, who works for Intel, the Telegram reports.
If convicted, Pani could face decades in prison and large fines for stealing trade secrets and committing wire fraud. He was first charged in August in U.S. district court in Boston with stealing trade secrets. He was indicted Wednesday by a federal grand jury on four additional counts of wire fraud. He is free on $100,000 bail.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts