IDG News Service - IBM India Research Laboratory (IRL) unveiled Thursday its Blue Scholar Program, which aims to encourage computer science graduates in India to take up research as a career. The move is in response to shortages of researchers in India as engineering graduates pursue other lucrative careers.
The objective of the program is to expose these graduates to a challenging research environment, in the expectation that some of them will pursue a deep, research-oriented career in computer science, said Manish Gupta, associate director of IRL. "We expect that they will develop a passion for research, and hope that some of them may even go for a Ph.D. program," he added.
The students will intern with IRL for two years, and at the end of this period, they may have the option of working at a regular job at IRL, Gupta said. The number of interns each year will depend on the quality of people IBM gets for the program, Gupta said.
The IRL currently hires students with master's degrees for software engineering positions and with doctorates for research work.
Finding researchers in India has become tough, as most engineering students graduate in information technology instead of going for higher studies like doctorate programs. They then take up jobs in India's software outsourcing industry or even in industries like financial services because the salaries are higher, Gupta said.
"We are concerned that India is not producing enough Ph.D.s in computer science and related areas", Gupta said.
Gupta said IRL wants students to look at the bigger picture rather than focusing on earning more money, though he added that stipends and salaries offered by IRL will also be competitive.
India produces 150,000 graduates a year in computer science, information technology, electrical engineering and related areas, said Vidya Natampally, director of strategy at Microsoft Research India. In contrast, only about 50 students earn doctorates in the area of computer science each year.
To encourage graduates to take up careers in research, Microsoft Research India also introduced various programs, including a two-year assistant researcher program for engineering graduates to do research work at the Microsoft lab, Natampally said.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.