IDG News Service - The global financial crisis has prompted market research firm Gartner Inc. on Monday to lower its preliminary chip industry revenue projections for the next few years, including a $25.5 billion reduction for next year.
Although Gartner's formal report on the chip industry won't be finalized until the end of November, the researcher said it revised down its preliminary 2008 chip industry revenue-growth forecast to just 2% to $279.4 billion, from a previous estimate of 4.2% growth.
As job losses mount and business and consumer spending tightens next year, the chip industry will face even tougher pressures. Gartner predicts 2009 semiconductor industry revenue will rise only 1% year on year to $282.2 billion. Previously, Gartner had forecast growth of 7.8% to $307.7 billion.
In a worst-case scenario, chip industry revenue could decline 10.3% next year, Gartner said.
"In a recession, it is important to remember that there will not only be a potential reduction in the number of systems sold, but also a move to lower-cost systems with less semiconductor content," said Gartner analyst Bryan Lewis in the "Semiconductor DQ Monday Report."
The chip sector will likely rebound in 2010, posting 10.5% growth on revenue of $311.8 billion, Gartner said.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- IBM FlashSystem At-a-Glance The IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution accelerates applications with enterprise-class advanced storage capabilities for less than the cost of disk.
- Top Reasons for Upgrading to Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs With Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs you can run more virtual machines and applications per server, cut your HBA installation and management time...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts