IDG News Service - The global financial crisis has prompted market research firm Gartner Inc. on Monday to lower its preliminary chip industry revenue projections for the next few years, including a $25.5 billion reduction for next year.
Although Gartner's formal report on the chip industry won't be finalized until the end of November, the researcher said it revised down its preliminary 2008 chip industry revenue-growth forecast to just 2% to $279.4 billion, from a previous estimate of 4.2% growth.
As job losses mount and business and consumer spending tightens next year, the chip industry will face even tougher pressures. Gartner predicts 2009 semiconductor industry revenue will rise only 1% year on year to $282.2 billion. Previously, Gartner had forecast growth of 7.8% to $307.7 billion.
In a worst-case scenario, chip industry revenue could decline 10.3% next year, Gartner said.
"In a recession, it is important to remember that there will not only be a potential reduction in the number of systems sold, but also a move to lower-cost systems with less semiconductor content," said Gartner analyst Bryan Lewis in the "Semiconductor DQ Monday Report."
The chip sector will likely rebound in 2010, posting 10.5% growth on revenue of $311.8 billion, Gartner said.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts