IDG News Service - The global financial crisis has prompted market research firm Gartner Inc. on Monday to lower its preliminary chip industry revenue projections for the next few years, including a $25.5 billion reduction for next year.
Although Gartner's formal report on the chip industry won't be finalized until the end of November, the researcher said it revised down its preliminary 2008 chip industry revenue-growth forecast to just 2% to $279.4 billion, from a previous estimate of 4.2% growth.
As job losses mount and business and consumer spending tightens next year, the chip industry will face even tougher pressures. Gartner predicts 2009 semiconductor industry revenue will rise only 1% year on year to $282.2 billion. Previously, Gartner had forecast growth of 7.8% to $307.7 billion.
In a worst-case scenario, chip industry revenue could decline 10.3% next year, Gartner said.
"In a recession, it is important to remember that there will not only be a potential reduction in the number of systems sold, but also a move to lower-cost systems with less semiconductor content," said Gartner analyst Bryan Lewis in the "Semiconductor DQ Monday Report."
The chip sector will likely rebound in 2010, posting 10.5% growth on revenue of $311.8 billion, Gartner said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts