Microsoft forecast shows Office, Vista heading in opposite directions
That is despite Microsoft's own forecast that PC shipments would grow from 8% to 12% for the year. The reason, again, is the expectation that Vista sales will be flat in developed countries and that non-Vista netbooks will drive PC unit growth.
Office 2007 enjoys strong growth
Office 2007, meanwhile, appeared to continue its unbroken string of stellar growth. Revenue in the Microsoft's business division grew 20% year over year to $4.95 billion.
The company doesn't break out the percentage of the business division's revenue that comes from Office. Microsoft has added several highly profitable products to the division in recent years, most significantly, Exchange Server, which Rosoff estimates is almost a $2 billion annual business.
Still, Office undoubtedly comprises the majority of Microsoft's business division revenues, Rosoff said. Those revenues are expected to grow 7% to 8% in the next quarter, and 12% to 13% for the entire year, far higher than Client (Vista's) revenues.
Microsoft Office has beaten back many threats during its long era of domination. But with the weak economy and the advent of credible software-as-a-service competitors such as Google Docs, cheaper desktop competitors such as IBM Symphony or the much-improved, free OpenOffice 3.0, could Office's grip on 550 million users finally be weakening? Rosoff isn't buying it.
"I've heard this argument many times over the years. But Office continues to have a real stranglehold in the corporation," Rosoff said. "In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I think it's going to stay that way."
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts