Microsoft forecast shows Office, Vista heading in opposite directions
That is despite Microsoft's own forecast that PC shipments would grow from 8% to 12% for the year. The reason, again, is the expectation that Vista sales will be flat in developed countries and that non-Vista netbooks will drive PC unit growth.
Office 2007 enjoys strong growth
Office 2007, meanwhile, appeared to continue its unbroken string of stellar growth. Revenue in the Microsoft's business division grew 20% year over year to $4.95 billion.
The company doesn't break out the percentage of the business division's revenue that comes from Office. Microsoft has added several highly profitable products to the division in recent years, most significantly, Exchange Server, which Rosoff estimates is almost a $2 billion annual business.
Still, Office undoubtedly comprises the majority of Microsoft's business division revenues, Rosoff said. Those revenues are expected to grow 7% to 8% in the next quarter, and 12% to 13% for the entire year, far higher than Client (Vista's) revenues.
Microsoft Office has beaten back many threats during its long era of domination. But with the weak economy and the advent of credible software-as-a-service competitors such as Google Docs, cheaper desktop competitors such as IBM Symphony or the much-improved, free OpenOffice 3.0, could Office's grip on 550 million users finally be weakening? Rosoff isn't buying it.
"I've heard this argument many times over the years. But Office continues to have a real stranglehold in the corporation," Rosoff said. "In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I think it's going to stay that way."
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts