Amazon adds Windows, SQL Server to EC2 cloud computing service
After two years in beta, Elastic Compute Cloud service is now in full production
Computerworld - Amazon.com Inc. today announced that after two years in beta mode, its Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) cloud computing service is now generally available. At the same time, the company said the hosted service is adding beta-level support for Microsoft Windows and SQL Server.
The beta-level support for Microsoft Windows on EC2 is in the form of 32- and 64-bit Amazon Machine Images (AMI) starting at $0.125 per hour. Microsoft SQL Server is also available in 64-bit form.
"We are looking forward to seeing how our customers will put Windows to work," Amazon said in a blog post. "We expect to see ASP.Net sites, media transcoding, high-performance computing and more. A number of developers will deploy hybrid Web sites using a mix of Linux and Windows servers. This really underscores the open and flexible nature of EC2."
The company today also added a new EC2 service-level agreement guarantees that each region of the service will be available at least 99.95% of the time. The SLA notes that a region is considered unavailable if more than one of its availability zones does not have external connectivity.
In addition, Amazon updated the ElasticFox Firefox extension for EC2, adding direct access to Elastic Block Storage and Elastic IP addresses from the main tab, one-click AMI bundling on Windows, better key and security group management, and the ability to directly launch remote desktop sessions.
The online retailer also disclosed plans to add a Web services management console, load balancing, automatic scaling and cloud monitoring services to the EC2 service over the next year.
The management console will let users simplify the process of configuring and operating applications in the Amazon cloud, Amazon said. Users can get a global picture of their cloud computing environment by using a point-and-click Web interface.
The automatic scaling will allow users to grow and shrink their usage of EC2 capacity on demand based on application requirements, Amazon said.
The cloud monitoring feature will provide users with real-time, multidimensional monitoring of host resources across multiple EC2 instances, allowing them to aggregate operational metrics across instances and availability zones.
"It is important to note that load balancing, automatic scaling and cloud monitoring will each be true Web services, with complete APIs for provisioning, control and status checking," Amazon noted. "We'll be working with a number of management tool vendors and developers to make sure that their products will support these new services on a timely basis."
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- IDC Whitepaper: Optimal Path to the Cloud Find out what IDC says about Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud in this analyst white paper. Learn the challenges and benefits...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts