Cheap business laptops: 3 for under $850
We test 3 low-cost laptops to find out whether they can stand up to typical business tasks.
Computerworld - The stock market's a mess, your company's balance sheet looks like a sea of red ink and your budget for outfitting 50 employees with new notebooks has been slashed to the bone. What's a poor buyer to do?
You could try those new under-$400 ultrasmall notebooks, but that's not really the answer. In most cases, bargain-basement notebooks are meant to be adjuncts to another computer and don't offer enough speed, storage or substance to make it in the rough-and-tumble world of business.
The simple truth of the matter is that the notebooks that businesspeople carry with them need to be a cut above the rest. They need to be comfortable enough to use in a variety of places, have the power to churn through corporate databases, be effective Web surfboards and -- above all else -- be reliable and ready for work every day.
But while you may not be able to find a full-power notebook for $400, you can get a solid working system at a relatively low price. To test this idea, I put together a group of three business notebooks that cost $850 or less.
The systems were the $782 Dell Vostro 1510, the $800 Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D EZ-1003X and the $829 HP Compaq 6735b. All had 15.4-in. screens, midrange Intel or AMD processors and wireless networking capability. They all weighed between 5 lbs. and 6 lbs. and offered a reasonable amount of memory and hard drive space.
What was left out? Some cut corners on graphics, and some weren't yet up to the latest 802.11n standard in Wi-Fi networking. None had Bluetooth, and only the Compaq 6735b came with a fingerprint scanner, which some businesses prefer as security tools. Each came with a one-year warranty -- with these lower-cost notebooks, the gold-standard three-year warranty is not standard.
To separate the wheat from the chaff, I next did what millions of employees do every day. With notebook in hand, I downloaded e-mail, did research on the Web and wrote and ran the numbers with spreadsheets. I even watched a few YouTube videos and listened to some Internet radio.
In this time of tight cash, one of these contenders could be your next, best business notebook. Let the battle begin, and may the best notebook win.
|Dell Vostro 1510||HP Compaq
|Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D|
|Dimensions (inches)||1.1 x 14.0 x 10.1||1.3 x 14.0 x 10.5||1.5 x 14.3 x 10.5|
|Weight/travel weight (lbs.)||5.7/6.6||6.1/7.0||S5.7/6.8|
|Screen size (inches)/resolution||15.4/1280 x 800||15.4/1280 x 800||15.4/1280 x 800|
|Video processor/Max. memory||Intel X3100/ 348MB||ATI Radeon HD3200/ 1.5GB||ATI Radeon X1250/ 700MB|
|Processor/speed||Intel Core 2 Duo/2.0 GHz||AMD Turion X2/
|AMD Turion X2/
|Hard drive capacity/speed (rpm)||160GB/5400||120GB/5400||120GB/5400|
|Ports||4 USB, external monitor, headphone, mic||4 USB, headphone, mic, serial, external monitor, S-Video Out, FireWire||3 USB, external monitor, mic, headphone, modem|
|Express Card||Express Card, Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Smart Media, xD||Express/Secure Digital, Memory Stick|
|Optical drive||DVD+-RW||DVD+-RW w/Light Scribe||DVD Super Multi|
|Battery capacity (milliamp hour)||5,000||4,400||4,000|
|Operating system||Vista Business||Vista Business||Windows XP Pro|
|Price for 3-year warranty||$80||$169||$149|
|Price (as tested)||$782||$829||$800|
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Stop Guessing, Start Measuring: How to Use Mobile Analytics to Deliver the Best App ROI This interactive e-book investigates how mobile is driving the need for app and portfolio measures unlike any we saw in the days of...
- APIs & MBaaS: How to Extend Your Enterprise Architecture for a Mobile World "Mobile," as Forrester Research observes, "is pushing aging web architectures to the brink." Download this whitepaper and learn how each of these requirements...
- Three Principles of the Mobile Era or Mastering the Mobile Shift: Three Keys to the New Enterprise In this whitepaper, you will learn the tools, technologies and strategies that are necessary for a mobile-ready IT to master the 3 keys...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts