OpenOffice.org launches first native Mac OS X suite
Unveils final release of 3.0; site still crippled, but download available
Although the organization's Web site is back online today -- it was knocked offline for several hours on Monday as demand exceeded server capacity -- the version now available is bare-bones. Users can access the 163MB download installer, however.
OpenOffice.org issued a beta of its flagship suite five months ago, but yesterday's release marked the first final code from the open-source project that doesn't require Mac users to install X11, a Unix windowing environment.
OpenOffice.org 3.0 includes a slew of new features and improvements to the suite's word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database applications. Other enhancements and additions include support for the new file formats that debuted in Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office for Mac 2008.
OpenOffice.org is one of the few rivals of Microsoft Corp.'s market-leading Microsoft Office suite. The current Mac version, Office 2008 for Mac, starts at $149. Apple Inc. also sells a suite, dubbed iWork '08, that offers a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation maker. IWork retails for $79 for a single-user license, $99 for a five-license family pack.
Another open-source competitor, NeoOffice, is currently at Version 2.2.5, but Version 3.0 debuts in mid-November to users who have donated $25 or more to the project since late August. The update will be available to all users free of charge on Jan. 15, 2009.
Work on a native Mac edition of OpenOffice.org kicked into gear over a year ago, when Sun Microsystems Inc. assigned company-paid engineers to the project. Sun's connection to OpenOffice.org goes back to 2000, when the company ceded the source code for what had been dubbed StarOffice to the all-volunteer OpenOffice.org project.
OpenOffice.org 3.0 for the Mac can be downloaded from the group's site in English, Danish, German, Italian and Swedish versions.
Read more about Mac OS X in Computerworld's Mac OS X Topic Center.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Mac OS X White Papers | Webcasts