Micron to cut staff by 15%
Chip maker cites lower demand and product oversupply
IDG News Service - Micron Technology Inc. and Intel Corp. plan to shut down their joint production of NAND flash memory from a plant in Boise, Idaho, and Micron plans to lay off about 15% of its workforce in another sign that the economic meltdown is taking its toll on some tech companies.
The moves are a result of a combination of lowered customer demand and product oversupply in the market, Micron said in a statement.
Intel and Micron, through their IM Flash Technologies joint venture, were supplying NAND flash memory from Micron's Boise facility. The shutdown will reduce the joint venture's NAND flash production by about 35,000 wafers per month, in the factory using 200-millimeter manufacturing lines per month. IM Flash Technologies also has a facility in Lehi, Utah, which has 300mm manufacturing lines.
Micron's 15% workforce reduction will occur over the next two years and will primarily affect employees at the Boise facility. According to Micron's Web site, the company has 22,600 employees worldwide.
Companies in the NAND flash market have struggled all year because of an oversupply that has kept prices low. Despite the oversupply, some vendors, including Hynix and Samsung, have continued to build new factories that make NAND flash products, further exacerbating the problem.
Micron expects that expenses related to the restructuring will reach about $60 million. In a statement, Micron chairman and CEO Steve Appleton said that Micron is in a strong position relative to competitors, but that it is not immune to the difficult global economic conditions affecting the market.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!