MySQL co-founder David Axmark leaving Sun
'I am better off in smaller organizations,' he says
"I have thought about my role at Sun and decided that I am better off in smaller organizations," Axmark wrote in his resignation letter, according to a blog post on Tuesday from Kaj Arno, head of MySQL community relations.
"I HATE all the rules that I need to follow, and I also HATE breaking them. It would be far better for me to 'retire' from employment and work with MySQL and Sun on a less formal basis," Axmark wrote. His last day with Sun will be Nov. 10, Arno said via instant message from Germany.
Axmark filled several important roles at MySQL over the years, including head of engineering, head of internal IT and head of community relations. It's because of Axmark that MySQL is open-source software, according to Arno. Another co-founder, Michael "Monty" Widenius, had planned it to be closed source, he said.
Axmark's departure will be a setback for Sun, which acquired MySQL for $1 billion in January and hopes to attract new developers to the database.
Early last month, Arno confirmed that Widenius was also thinking of resigning from Sun. He is still with the company, but his future there is still "hard to predict," Arno said.
Axmark is an "important figurehead" at MySQL and someone who recruited many of its top engineers, Arno said. But his role lately has been primarily speaking with the press and liaising with the open-source community, according to Arno. Axmark will continue to do consulting and speaking engagements for Sun, he said.
"Emotionally, it's a sad moment to see a co-founder leave, but the day-to-day impact is low," Arno said via instant message.
Marten Mickos, MySQL's former CEO, continues to lead the database group within Sun, and Jeffrey Pugh is still head of engineering, Arno said.
Axmark couldn't be reached for comment on Tuesday. Arno said the things he disliked about being part of a large company were "mundane things" like having to turn in expense reports, order travel and change his e-mail to "@sun.com."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts