MySQL co-founder David Axmark leaving Sun
'I am better off in smaller organizations,' he says
"I have thought about my role at Sun and decided that I am better off in smaller organizations," Axmark wrote in his resignation letter, according to a blog post on Tuesday from Kaj Arno, head of MySQL community relations.
"I HATE all the rules that I need to follow, and I also HATE breaking them. It would be far better for me to 'retire' from employment and work with MySQL and Sun on a less formal basis," Axmark wrote. His last day with Sun will be Nov. 10, Arno said via instant message from Germany.
Axmark filled several important roles at MySQL over the years, including head of engineering, head of internal IT and head of community relations. It's because of Axmark that MySQL is open-source software, according to Arno. Another co-founder, Michael "Monty" Widenius, had planned it to be closed source, he said.
Axmark's departure will be a setback for Sun, which acquired MySQL for $1 billion in January and hopes to attract new developers to the database.
Early last month, Arno confirmed that Widenius was also thinking of resigning from Sun. He is still with the company, but his future there is still "hard to predict," Arno said.
Axmark is an "important figurehead" at MySQL and someone who recruited many of its top engineers, Arno said. But his role lately has been primarily speaking with the press and liaising with the open-source community, according to Arno. Axmark will continue to do consulting and speaking engagements for Sun, he said.
"Emotionally, it's a sad moment to see a co-founder leave, but the day-to-day impact is low," Arno said via instant message.
Marten Mickos, MySQL's former CEO, continues to lead the database group within Sun, and Jeffrey Pugh is still head of engineering, Arno said.
Axmark couldn't be reached for comment on Tuesday. Arno said the things he disliked about being part of a large company were "mundane things" like having to turn in expense reports, order travel and change his e-mail to "@sun.com."
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts