Video: Clearwire shows WiMax applications
Driving tour shows mobile WiMax search, video downloads and a VoIP call
Computerworld - Clearwire Corp. is predicting a range of mobile applications for WiMax to help the haggard business traveler or busy family on the move.
The capabilities of a WiMax network sending data at 2Mbit/sec. to 4Mbit/sec. downstream to a moving vehicle include sending music, streaming video and Internet access, Clearwire officials said. Voice-over-IP phone calls are also possible, and with the right application, a user will be able to find several nearby restaurants on a Google map, then click on a phone number to make an in-vehicle call to make a dinner reservation or order takeout.
Such Clearwire applications were shown to reporters in a well-equipped van during WiMax World in Chicago recently. The vehicle passed by eight different WiMax antennas in the citywide Xohm network, which is being built by Motorola Inc. and due to go live before the end of the year. The vehicle was driven at speeds of about 35 mph and never dropped connections during a 15-minute test.
The accompanying video shows the vehicle and the entire test as seen from the interior with a passing view of the WiMax antennas on a building on the south side of Chicago. The van was equipped with two ruggedized PCs equipped with Samsung air cards. Clearwire technology marketing representatives Tim Schallberger and Todd Lewellen described the applications during the ride.
After the trip, the video clip continues briefly to show an ordinary laptop sitting on a table top that is equipped with a Samsung card, which demonstrated a speed test over the Internet. The downlink speed exceeded 3Mbit/sec. via one of the Motorola WiMax antennas located a quarter of a mile away.
- Review: Sprint's 4G Xohm WiMax--How fast is it?
- Lenovo bolsters Xohm with WiMax-ready laptops
- Video: WiMax apps go for ride
- Video: Using WiMax on Nokia N810
- Seth Weintraub: Sprint's Xohm not for Macs
- Xohm coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
- Clearwire CEO: WiMax a 'value proposition' in down economy
- Sprint CEO: Potential impact on WiMax from sour economy
- Xohm WiMax launches in Baltimore
- Analysis: WiMax vs. LTE: Let the battle begin
- Your Say: Will you try Xohm when it comes to your town?
- Find the latest CW reviews
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts