Sanyo laser to enable faster, higher-capacity Blu-ray Discs
At 12X speed, 100GB of data could be burned to a Blu-ray disk in 10 minutes
The laser can emit a beam of 450 milliwatts, which is about double the power of Sanyo's current highest-power laser for Blu-ray Disc systems. The higher power means it can write and read data on discs with up to four data layers and at speeds of up to 12X, Sanyo said today.
Each recording layer on a Blu-ray Disc can store 25GB of data, and the highest-capacity commercial discs currently have two recording layers. A four-layer disc would be able to hold 100GB of data, which translates to about eight hours of high-definition video, and at 12X speed, all that data could be burned to the disc in just 10 minutes.
While the development of the laser is a step toward such systems, users shouldn't expect them anytime soon. With the development of a suitable laser, companies are now able to work on products supporting the higher speeds, but the length of the development cycle and the Blu-ray Disc standardization process means drives and recorders running at the higher speeds likely won't be available until one or two years later.
Optical disc systems such as Blu-ray Disc typically advance throughout their lives, thanks to developments in component technology. Stronger lasers mean additional recording layers can be added and discs can be spun faster. Most of the latest Blu-ray Disc drives support double-layer at speeds of up to 6X.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts