Sanyo laser to enable faster, higher-capacity Blu-ray Discs
At 12X speed, 100GB of data could be burned to a Blu-ray disk in 10 minutes
The laser can emit a beam of 450 milliwatts, which is about double the power of Sanyo's current highest-power laser for Blu-ray Disc systems. The higher power means it can write and read data on discs with up to four data layers and at speeds of up to 12X, Sanyo said today.
Each recording layer on a Blu-ray Disc can store 25GB of data, and the highest-capacity commercial discs currently have two recording layers. A four-layer disc would be able to hold 100GB of data, which translates to about eight hours of high-definition video, and at 12X speed, all that data could be burned to the disc in just 10 minutes.
While the development of the laser is a step toward such systems, users shouldn't expect them anytime soon. With the development of a suitable laser, companies are now able to work on products supporting the higher speeds, but the length of the development cycle and the Blu-ray Disc standardization process means drives and recorders running at the higher speeds likely won't be available until one or two years later.
Optical disc systems such as Blu-ray Disc typically advance throughout their lives, thanks to developments in component technology. Stronger lasers mean additional recording layers can be added and discs can be spun faster. Most of the latest Blu-ray Disc drives support double-layer at speeds of up to 6X.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- IBM FlashSystem At-a-Glance The IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution accelerates applications with enterprise-class advanced storage capabilities for less than the cost of disk.
- Top Reasons for Upgrading to Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs With Gen 5 Fibre Channel HBAs you can run more virtual machines and applications per server, cut your HBA installation and management time...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts