Obama camp offers iPhone app
It allows supporters stay connected, get campaign updates
Macworld - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign team has released an application (iTunes required to download) specifically for iPhone users to help supporters of the candidate connect with others and get involved, stay up to date on breaking issues and track local campaign events.
The free application -- available for download through the App Store -- is compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch. It will organize a user's contacts by key battleground states and offers statistics to measure how a person is doing in terms of calling friends in those states.
Obama '08 also provides users with information about the campaign via text messages and e-mail, offers coverage of national and local campaign news, details local events, shares the information by e-mail, and delivers maps and directions to events. The app can also be used to browse videos and photos from the campaign.
Presidential election season is always contentious, but increasingly tech-savvy pundits, campaigners and others have turned to new ways to get political news out. Blogs have played a role for years, but with the advent of the App Store, more developers have turned to the iPhone as a way of energizing the voter base.
The Obama campaign is wading into areas not yet plumbed by the campaign of Republican Sen. John McCain, it seems. Although a Web app -- John McCain campaign news -- is available, there's no similar McCain-centric app available for the iPhone. But there are plenty of politically oriented applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch available for download from the App Store.
Campaign, for example, provides a customized news feed from various sources specifically related to Democratic and Republican news coverage. Congress+ provides users with a detailed list of U.S. Congress members, including contact information, biographical data, campaign and opponent information, and more. Elections lets users browse and assess information not only about the presidential candidates, but those running for Congress, state legislatures and gubernatorial seats. ElectionMap lets users view current trends and poll predictions, while Days to Election Day details how soon voters can cast ballots. And Poll Tracker uses data from Pollster.com to track McCain's and Obama's polling numbers.
Those App Store applications can be downloaded directly through a person's iPhone or through iTunes.
Obama and tech
- Obama administration to inherit tough cybersecurity challenges
- Dan Tynan: Obama's CTO -- Just do what, exactly?
- Thousands flock to site collecting ideas for Obama's CTO
- Analysis: With Obama win, Google emerges as a D.C. player
- Dan Tynan: The 21st Century President
- My.BarackObama.com social network stays online after election
- Al Gore sees transformative power of Web in politics
- Google-enabled government starts with Obama's CTO
- John Brandon: Barack Obama wins Web 2.0 race
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!