Obama camp offers iPhone app
It allows supporters stay connected, get campaign updates
Macworld - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign team has released an application (iTunes required to download) specifically for iPhone users to help supporters of the candidate connect with others and get involved, stay up to date on breaking issues and track local campaign events.
The free application -- available for download through the App Store -- is compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch. It will organize a user's contacts by key battleground states and offers statistics to measure how a person is doing in terms of calling friends in those states.
Obama '08 also provides users with information about the campaign via text messages and e-mail, offers coverage of national and local campaign news, details local events, shares the information by e-mail, and delivers maps and directions to events. The app can also be used to browse videos and photos from the campaign.
Presidential election season is always contentious, but increasingly tech-savvy pundits, campaigners and others have turned to new ways to get political news out. Blogs have played a role for years, but with the advent of the App Store, more developers have turned to the iPhone as a way of energizing the voter base.
The Obama campaign is wading into areas not yet plumbed by the campaign of Republican Sen. John McCain, it seems. Although a Web app -- John McCain campaign news -- is available, there's no similar McCain-centric app available for the iPhone. But there are plenty of politically oriented applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch available for download from the App Store.
Campaign, for example, provides a customized news feed from various sources specifically related to Democratic and Republican news coverage. Congress+ provides users with a detailed list of U.S. Congress members, including contact information, biographical data, campaign and opponent information, and more. Elections lets users browse and assess information not only about the presidential candidates, but those running for Congress, state legislatures and gubernatorial seats. ElectionMap lets users view current trends and poll predictions, while Days to Election Day details how soon voters can cast ballots. And Poll Tracker uses data from Pollster.com to track McCain's and Obama's polling numbers.
Those App Store applications can be downloaded directly through a person's iPhone or through iTunes.
Obama and tech
- Obama administration to inherit tough cybersecurity challenges
- Dan Tynan: Obama's CTO -- Just do what, exactly?
- Thousands flock to site collecting ideas for Obama's CTO
- Analysis: With Obama win, Google emerges as a D.C. player
- Dan Tynan: The 21st Century President
- My.BarackObama.com social network stays online after election
- Al Gore sees transformative power of Web in politics
- Google-enabled government starts with Obama's CTO
- John Brandon: Barack Obama wins Web 2.0 race
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts