Google launches 'Google News for blogs'
Updated Google Blog Search finds new blog posts and clusters them by topic
Computerworld - Six years after Google Inc. launched Google News by applying its search technology to breaking news stories, the company has moved to apply its technology to a similar service to track new blog posts.
Google's updated Google Blog Search tool will use the technology that powers Google News to track and organize the 900,000 new blog posts added to the Web every 24 hours, Google said Monday. Previously, the tool only allowed users to simply type queries to search blogs.
"We're now showing categories on the left side of the website and organizing the blog posts within those categories into clusters, which are groupings of posts about the same story or event," noted Michael Cohen, a Google product manager, in a blog post. "Grouping them in clusters lets you see the best posts on a story or get a variety of perspectives. When you look within a cluster, you'll find a collection of the most interesting and recent posts on the topic, along with a timeline graph that shows you how the story is gaining momentum in the blogosphere."
Categories on Google Blog Search include politics, technology, business, science, entertainment, movies, television and sports.
While the site is launching only in English, Google said it plans to eventually add support for more languages.
Marshall Kirkpatrick, a blogger at Read Write Web, compared the new Google site with others that aim to do the same thing. "It's cleaner and less spammy than Technorati, it's more transparent than Yahoo Buzz, it's more inclusive than Six Apart's new Blogs.com. So the big question will be whether it's faster than Techmeme."
He added that Techmeme, which primarily tracks technology blog posts, has an audience that is more influential than it is large.
"The new Google Blog Search has the potential to reach tens of millions of people and drive insane amounts of traffic," Kirkpatrick noted. "Techmeme indexes a limited number of tech blogs, primarily blogs linked to by other blogs that are already indexed. Google Blog Search, on the other hand, indexes all blog posts faster than anyone else on the Web."
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts